GUN M44 scope mounts that replace the rear sight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by springy101, Jun 13, 2008.

1. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

Anyone use any? I was thinking of buying from this site http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html and getting the scope mount, rings, and a stock. Also, is the shorter or the longer scope mount better? I already have one M44 so I thought maybe I should get another for a cheep hunting rifle.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why not get a m38 for a hunting rifle? many m44's aren't accurate without the bayo unfolded, and that's a bit awkward on a hunting rifle. M38 would solve that problem.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Or why try to polish a turd?

Buy a cheap remmy/savage/stevens/etc if you are wanting a good hunting rifle...

4. soccaian

soccaian New Member

why do people believe that crap?

have you ever messed with the bayo on an M44? it barely even touches the barrel when it's unfolded

5. itchiban

itchiban New Member

:werd:

But you can just remove the bayo altogether. You shouldn't need to stab anything you're hunting. Shoudn't.

I have never used a scout mount setup on a Mosin. I have used the ATI version that you drill and tap for and despite it's looks, it worked pretty well.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm tapping the reciever on my 91/30, I figure if your going to do it may as well do it the way it was meant to be done.

And if you cannt hit shit with your Mosin its user error.

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I can pull off a neck shot on a deer with my 91/30 Mosin at 100 yards easy. They are not inaccurate rifles, and the Silver Bear 203 grain soft point decimates.

8. springy101

A lot of that stuff on that site doesn't fit the M38, so that's out of the question. Also, is there much of a difference between the 91/30 and the M44 in terms of accuracy?

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

That's how Snake did the monstrosity he built for me. drilled and tapped, bought a custom picatinny rail made for the Mosin along with a custom turned down bolt.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Probably some, there is a good bit of difference in the barrel lengths. My M44 doesn't suffer from the POI change with the bayonet un-extended, but some of them do. I bought a scope mount for my Mosins, but I haven't used it on either. I have had great luck with opens on my 91/30, I've shot things out to 400 yards with it and it's dead-on.

11. springy101

That 400yds is with a scope right?

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That thing was badass :bowdown: You still have pics?

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Open sights.

14. springy101

Damn, is there a chart that converts whatever numbers the Russians used on their sights to yards?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

drive your car at 60mph and stick your hand out the window... the wind pushes your hand up/down, doesn't it?

the bayo deflects the bullet slightly -- and that slight deflection adds up as the distance increases.

16. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

The 400 mark is 400 meters. Not exactly 400 yards, but I used a GPS to verify the distance I was shooting and it wasn't quite 400 yards either.

17. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It actually has to do with the harmonics of the barrel with the bayonet. As rigid as the barrel looks, it vibrates when a bullet goes down it. The harmonics of the barrel change when the bayonet is out versus when it is in. The fact that the end of the barrel has pressure on it in one direction from the bayonet when it is out changes the POI significantly in some cases. my POI might change slightly with my M44, but it isn't enough to miss the right spot on a deer at 100 yards.

Honestly, if you wanted to put a long eye relief scope on an m44, you might just do better to drive out the pin holding the front sight and bayonet on. You wouldn't be using the front sight anyway, and the bayonet adds weight and I doubt you would use a scoped rifle at bayonet distances.

18. springy101

Do you think it would best just to go with a 91/30 then?

19. Rownan

Rownan SHIFT

I don't mean to hijack, but I'm very interested in picking up a m91/30. I want one that is relatively accurate and ready to shoot, not one to hang on my wall. Obviously the condition of the bore is very important, but since I'm new to rifles in general, what should I watch out for? Are there any tests or checks I can do in the store without actually shooting?

20. itchiban

itchiban New Member

You're thinking M39 which has a different sight base. The M38 is just an M44 without a bayo attached. There are some minor changes here and there depending on the factory, but for the most part they are the same.

Just the other day I drove the pins out of my sight bases and took them off completely. I'm going to bubba-tize my M38 and drill and tap for a mount (inspired by SSSnake's build here a few years back). The rear was easy, drive the pin and a good thump and the base was off. The front however, sucked F'n balls. I had to cut it off with my dremel.

21. itchiban

itchiban New Member

The obvious things to avoid are signs of rust and pitting. I've never seen a Mosin with a bright shiny bore, but that would be ideal. Also check to see that there is crisp definition between the lands and grooves of the rifling. All of this can be hard because a lot of the time, they're slathered in cosmo inside and out, but you should take a bore light with you to help look. I went to JG sales to pick mine up and they were kind enough to bring out a dozen different ones so i can get my pick of the litter.

22. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

They are so cheap, it might be easier. Then you wouldn't have to deal with pushing any pins or modifying the weapon extensively.

23. springy101

Well I already have one M44, and I was planning on buying a new Mosin to bubba anyway. So I guess the 91/30 would be better then.