m3's reliable?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thisgsx, Jun 9, 2005.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Im thinking about purchasing a m3 (94-99) I was wondering if they're reliable? I wouldnt mind the newer ones, but Im still attached to the looks of the older ones.

2. someguy

someguy WWMD?

Generally, yes.

There are problem areas that you may want to research before buying. I'm not an expert, so I wouldn't want to give you extensive advice. Make sure you have the car checked out by someone who knows what they are doing to avoid a problem car.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

from bmw owners I've spoken with, they are fairly reliable day-to-day. However, when something does break, it is VERY expensive to have fixed if you don't do it yourself.

4. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

I've had good luck with my 97. I've putt 100,000 miles on it and other than basic maintenance, have done the brakes, the clutch, and I had an issue with the passenger seat airbag sensor. Oh, and I replaced the head unit.

5. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Cool. I just registered at m3forums, hopefully I'll find all the answers there. I've read somewhere a while back that m3's tend to have a lot of electrical problems, is that true? Oh and Im coming from the dsm world, so I'm kind of tired of having to fix a problem one after another.

6. Jetta Dex

Jetta Dex Guest

they'll definitely be more reliable than a DSM. if i remember correctly, the 97 model year is supposed to be one of the most reliable of the E36 M3's. pretty much any german car is going to have electrical problems. sign up for the bimmer forums.

7. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e36m3/

The S52 powerplant is rock solid. period. Also, down the road you can go the FI route, that motor takes well to modding. In particular the 95 OBDI....

The car has its quirks just like anything else...

best place to go for info:
    http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e36m3/

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thanks!

9. Mannie Fresh

Mannie Fresh OT Supporter

the 95 OBD1 isn't an s52. It's an s50 3.0l. 96-99 obd2 3.2l was the S52. S52's make more torque, and now that someone has taken the time to do FI tuning correctly for them, they make more power than the obd1 engines on FI. The 95's also have valve retainer issues which could be amplified with more power. 3.2's don't. pushing 400hp down the highway at 6000rpm and dropping a valve would be an expensive problem. 3.2's rock!

10. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

if you live in the US, whatever you do don't buy a '94 M3.

11. w3fl3x

w3fl3x ...yummy...

There's no such thing as a 94 m3 in the US. :squint:
    First year we got the m3 was 95 and is the only obd1 available besides the e30 m3. Good luck getting your hands on an e30 m3.

12. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

:ugh2:

13. def328

def328 New Member

I have had very little problems with my 95 M3, but it only has 40,000 miles though. I have done minor mods and want to do more. Each model has some issues, if you go to bimmerforms.com and look at the e36 m3 section there is a sticky that has a lot of info on all the different e36 years. Overall I love mine and will probably never get rid of it.