M3 v. G35 Coupe (Videos)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by El Slotho, Mar 9, 2003.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

2. elysium

elysium Guest

Thanks for teh vids. :)

The G35 is tight, I don't care what CGM3 says! :o

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

It is tight for a Japanese car trying to be a euro but we all know that any german car > any japanese car

4. elysium

elysium Guest

Haha, come on now! That is such a wide generalization.
    I hope you have at least an ounce of joke in that view. :)

5. EdgeCat

EdgeCat Guest

It sounds so much better than I expected it to! :eek: The nav system is also extremely cool. As always, excellent work. :bigthumb:

6. someguy

someguy WWMD?

The G35C isn't bad...

I just don't like the interior styling much at all. Fix that, and it would be pretty good...

7. curiousgeorgeM3

LOL! Of course I'm joking a little but I am also a German car snob. As long as my income level allows it, I will never own a non-german car again. I always recognoze quality (G35, NSX, 350Z) but it is an entirely different thing when faced with owning.

8. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

There is no way that thing makes nearly 280hp...

9. curiousgeorgeM3

After watching the videos............your car pulls on that G35 like no one's business. I'm not impressed by Infinity.

10. elysium

elysium Guest

1.) The M3 weighs 300lbs less than the G35.
    2.) Slotho's car is not stock.

But yeah, even if both cars were stock, the M3 would own it. Even so, the G35 is just a really sporty luxo-cruiser. Whereas the M3 has neen a racing platform for generations.

11. joeym43

joeym43 All you'll ever see.

Song

What song is that in the versus.mpg?

Both cars are :cool:. I prefer the G tho. How does the G compare to the M in terms of handling (yeah I know, stock vs. modded)?

12. El Slotho

The Infiniti never had a chance. The M3's new 3.46 rear differential has jumped it into a completely different class of acceleration. For an idea of how short this gear is, I redline 4th at 110 mph and upshift into 5th at 5000 RPM. My top speed is now gear limited to middle 140's (which is fine with me), first gear is useless with the snow tires on, and second gear now feels like first used to. It still makes me laugh every time I get on it after the car warms up....

Laser Red, when driving the G35c, you can feel all 280 of its horses quite nicely in the low end, and midrange of the powerband. It is when the revs are above 5000 RPM that the car feels like it starts losing a step - due to the automatic, I suspect. In that race, when the two cars line up, it is right where the M3 has the hugest advantage (it rips ever harder the closer it gets to redline) vs. the biggest disadvantage for the Infiniti. Were it a 6-speed, it would have done better than that sideshow clowning....

Joey, I will be honest. The G35c feels similar to my M3 on its coilovers, but with the added weight of a bigger car. It just feels awesome. It is a tight, controlled, neutral handler that does understeer a bit towards the edge of adhesion, but that's no surprise on a production car I guess. I said it before and I will stick to it, the G35c is not some luxury coupe with sporty aspirations, but a well balanced, nicely appointed, world-class sports coupe. A friend of mine who lives at Watkins Glen, NHIS and Limerock in the on-season months took the car out for a rip, and came back sputtering on his total surprise at how "perfect" the car felt when pushed hard. It really is too bad that it's an automatic, otherwise that Infiniti wouldn't have one detractor on its list. They really hit a home run with this car. :bigthumb:

Oh and the song is Fascination Street by The Cure. Classic. :bigthumb:

13. curiousgeorgeM3

Yes but would you own one over a Euro car or equal performance and luxury?

14. El Slotho

It depends. Is price a factor? I would choose the G35 coupe over a 325i/Ci without thought or hesitation, but then the performance isn't equal. And to be honest, I don't know if I would take a stock 330Ci over a 6-speed G35 Coupe with a nice set of 19" Volks and redone suspension, which would come in circa the same price.

However the question is moot - I will still take my 6 year-old M3 over both of them. :big grin:

15. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

NSX > my Golf

16. Just for kicks, a member on Fanatics who runs an Engine tuning business and also has the one and only Turbo e46, has Dynoed around 6 Nissan 350z's and has only gotten in the range of 226-237hp at the crank and nowhere near the 287 mark.

17. elysium

elysium Guest

What kind of dyno is able to do that? :dunno:

18. Nismo4090

Nismo4090 Back in Black

that is wheel hp, this post has pissed me off for so long