M3 Newb Help

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by chpkorean, Oct 29, 2007.

1. chpkorean

chpkorean New Member

Hey guys,

I have an E46 M3, that JUST ran out of the original factory warranty, (which means no more free maintenance). The "OIL SERVICE" indicator says I have about 50 more files left until the next oil change. So I called up local BMW place, and they quoted me $215 for oil change and air filters. I figured that was a bit high, so I called another BMW place and they quoted me $140 for the oil service. Both places said they did visual inspections and topped off the fluids. Am I missing something here, I know this is a high performance engine and requires special service but that $200+ seems crazy.

Should I

A) Go to the German "speed shop" in my town and get the synthetic mobile1 oil, $65-$70.
    B) Go to Performance and get the $140 "special oil".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. You can go to walmart and get Mobil1 in 5 quart quantity for like $25 each. The filters are like $10 from the dealer. (at least they are for the E36 M3) The visual inspection can be done by you for free. You can top off fluids yourself too. Total cost: ~$60

3. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

i remember you on pbn :bowrofl:

4. Bleed

Bleed New Member

If it's not Castrol 10W-60 i wouldnt put it in the car. Go to bavauto.com, it's $9.95 per quart. It's dumb to even consider blowing an expensive engine to save a few bucks on an oil change.

The change for $140 is fair. To be honest, an oil change takes about 10 minutes to do on an E46 M3. It takes longer for the oil to drain out than actually do the mechanical work. I would just buy the stuff and do the work on your own. That way you can get familiar with how the car works and save yourself money down the road. Otherwise, you are going to get ass raped left and right if you need to pay for all maintenance work on your car.

5. BMW has a deal with castrol, that's why they recommend castrol. On the other hand Corvette, Porsche, Aston Martin, the SLR McLaren all use Mobil1 from the factory. I see no point in buying $10 per quart "bmw" oil when $5 per quart oil is good enough for all those other manufacturers listed above.

EDIT: This post on bimmerforums spells it all out:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265292

Turns out you really don't need the Castrol 10w-60. Mobil1 0w-40 is just fine. Of course, if you want to spend $10 per quart on the BMW oil, I'm sure bavauto won't stop you.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  6. Bleed

Bleed New Member

That's a good read. But at the same time, doesn't it just make sense to go with what's recommended by the manufacturer?

I'm pretty sure the Mobil1 would work fine, but I've been going by the Bentley manual and the orginal car manual and doing the work according to those guidelines. If you do 2 oil changes a year, it's just an extra $50. I don't see why you would try to save that to find cheaper oil. If $50 is an issue, then this is the wrong car to own. :dunno:

7. I guess either way it doesn't make much of a difference. The important part here is to just do the oil change yourself. That's where the big savings are, and you'll learn more about your car.

8. Maj.Malfunction

Maj.Malfunction New Member

Seriously, do yourself a favor and do your own labor. I can't stand all the people that complain about owning BMW's and the maintenance costs. They aren't that bad! Shop around for parts and do it yourself!

9. Wiggity Wiznerd

Wiggity Wiznerd New Member

People seem to be forgetting that the S54 motor in the e46 takes over 7 quarts of oil.....$140 is a very fair price.

10. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

It takes 6.5 quarts. Overfilling your oil can be a VERY bad thing. :nono:

And yes, Castrol TWS 10W-60 is the ONLY oil that should go in an E46 M3.

11. Bleed

Bleed New Member

U know, I did some more reading on this and i think you are right. A lot of people are using Mobil1 Ow-40 and Royal Purple oil as well. I think BMW recommends the 10w-60 because of their recommended 15k per oil change intervals (I guess oil weight breaks down after time so the 10w-60 starts to resemble the fluidity of 0w-40). So I guess BMW just starts with a more liquid oil to accommodates the later quality of it towards the end of the oil change cycle.

Most people including myself change the oil every 5-7k, and people suggest changing the filter every 3k so you actually go through 2 filters per oil change cycle. I'm actually pretty convinced if you are doing shorter cycles for oil changes you can use the Mobil1 0w-40. :dunno:

12. Wiggity Wiznerd

Wiggity Wiznerd New Member

You're sort of right.... Its actually 6.5 liters which ends up being just over 7 quarts. However, only 7 jugs of oil are needed since they are sold in liters.

Overfilling the engine by a little isnt bad, if it were, cars would be blowing up left and right. Besides, BMW straight sixes get notorious oil starve issues on the track, and adding a little extra helps a lot.

13. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Crack the filter housing, drop the drain plug, let the oil drain for 20 minutes.

Come back, replace the filter, install the drain plug, put in 7 quarts (not liters) of whatever full synthetic viscosity your research has convinced you is good.

Repeat when the indicator tells you to.

FYI- the dealers quote for $215 probably includes replacing the cabin ventilation filter and the $140 is probably just oil/filter. Subtract the microfilter and the dealer would probably charge you only a little more than $140.

Can I ask why you didn't purchase the extended maintenance contract?