GUN M1 Garand

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fst89lx, Aug 28, 2002.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I am looking into getting a Garand, but i dont know if i want to look for an original or one of the new ones that springfield is producing.

which one will cost me more $$? also were there any shortcomings of the originals that have been improved on with the new ones or are they all the same??

Thanks!

2. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I have an Harrington and Richards Garand I will sell you. It is one of the first production run guns they made. The first guns they produced, Springfield Armory gave them the parts. So mine has stamped SA match grade parts on it. I have seen H&R's on Auction Arms in a lot worse shape than mine go for over $1000. I am selling it lower than that. It is an origial in 99% condition, 1951 SA barrel and it looks almost like a new gun. It also has the birch stock that is kinda rare. The only thing worn is the butt plate, so that makes me think it was a gun used in the color guard or one that was shot during a funeral.

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

thanks for the offer, but i am not looking to buy just yet, still thinking about it, I guess i didn't realize that they were that expensive.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

A new SA garand will run you $1000 or more, if you want a nice shooting garand prepare to pay.

5. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

hmmm, maybe ill just have to stick to shooting my AR for a while.

6. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

You can get a DCM Garand for around $500, mine is just a collectors grade.

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

$500 sounds reasonable, i may have to look into that, thanks for all the information guys.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

shit, yeah, cmp all the way.

on a sad note, one or two gun shows ago, there was a guy selling a National Match garand for $800. i so wish i had $800 at the time. he hadn't a clue what was at his table. it was a steal. some other dealer probably bought it and sold it for twice that.

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

So...how many posts did you read?

10. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

:wtf: no you don't :rofl:

11. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Since when is SA making new Garands?

12. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

I've been looking into it recently. Just seem like a huge hassle. I'd almost rather spend $200 more to just buy one at a gun shop.

You have to be a member of a affiliated range or club right? Plus posses some kind of proof or firearms proficiency.

13. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

It fucking amazes me the bullshit some people spew. Getting a Garand from the CMP assures you that it is/was a 100% USGI issued M1 Garand. Unless you get a Correct or Collector Grade all CMP Garands have been re-arsenaled at some point (meaning the parts will be a mixture of manufacturers and dates), but again they are 100% USGI.

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

Proof of U.S. Citizenship: You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

Proof of Age:
    You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization: join the GCA for $25
    http://www.thegca.org/store/

Now this is the only part that might be a little pain in the ass, but considering you can order a 100% USGI M1 Garand for as little as $495 and have it shipped directly to your door with no FFL transfer fee etc, I'd say it's worth the effort

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
    You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
    - Current or past military service.
    - Current or past law enforcement service
    - Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    - Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    - Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    - Concealed Carry License.
    - Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    - FFL or C&R license.
    - Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    - Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/Forms/marksmanship.pdf