GUN M1 Garand Ammo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm trying ot track down a feeding problem in my M1 Garand. I need some store bought ammo that works in the M1 and I don't know what does. I'm gonna order some CMP ball but I'd like to see if it works now. It's gas system needs a slow burning powder. Anyone know something that's got that I can grab at wal-mart, academy, or a local gun store?

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You should be all right using 150 or 165gr factory ammo (like corelokts), just stay away from the hornady light magnum and federal high energy stuff. I don't own a garand though so don't take my word on this :hs: David4x4 where are you?

3. wait i got a garand, you mean you can only use certain rounds for it? holly shet i just go store and buy any kind .308 and fire'em.
    what kind you use bigsnake?

4. 7

I was reading a thread on Accurate Reloading the other day, apparently if you use a heavy bullet plus a slow burning powder you'll end up with a bent op. rod :dunno: Btw, do you have a re-chambered garand or something?

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Mine's not chambered in .308. It's still 30-06.

I've had good luck w/ the cheap ass olympic but it's not accurate at all. It's also extremely dirty stuff. The Korean stuff also works well but the KA Headstamp is corrosive... The PS (or is it PA?) headstamp can blow your gun up. I'm going to get an order of the CMP Delinked military ball ammo as soon as the next credit card bill comes.

From the store I used some 165 grain stuff... I think it was Federal or Remington... I don't remember but It wasn't cycling the rounds correctly. I also had this problem a year or so ago when I took the rifle up to Kansas and went out shooting on the farm. Had to run to the store to buy some stuff there and it wasn't working too well either. Don't remember what I bought though...

So, the Korean and CMP 30.06 seem to work but I'd have to order it. I want it now b/c I'd like to run to the range tomorrow afternoon.

6. 7

Where did you get your garand/how much was it/what's the condition? :hs: I'd like to buy a garand some time but have to wait till the summer and their are so many guns I want :o

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

It's a low 1 million serial number springfield. It's in pretty good condition. It was purchased from a gun show in town. I don't know how much it was because it was gotten several years ago by my father for my 17th birthday.

It's a blast to shoot... I always end up blowing well over 100 rounds through it at the range and coming home w/ a bruised shoulder... lol... That doesn't stop me from shooting it though. Only thing that does is running out of ammo.

and all the people looking at you when it goes, "cling" on the last round is funny... some guy was there shooting black powder guns the last time I went and was like, "That didn't sound good"

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

UMC seems to work decently in most garands from what i've seen.

9. You could use SLEDS for you ammo fedding too. I use 1- 5 rd SLEDS. That way no need go chasing after the clip when it ejects.
    ya a 30.06 is nice.
    i'll prob end up selling it for a M1-A1.
    garands shoots like a champ. i think it puts hair on your chest.
    any recommends for .308 grain?

10. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i ordered some aussie .308 from ammoman...haven't been able to try it out yet. wont be able to till next month.

snake, you fix that cycling problem?

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I haven't messed with it really. Just looking around to see if I can find anyone that's had similar problems. People are telling me all kinds of things in what they think is wrong from the hammer, to the trigger housing, to the recoil spring, to a gas leak, to it being a bad stock...