GUN M&P .40 vs M&P 9mm

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by H.P., Sep 25, 2007.

?

.40 or 9mm?

1. .40

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. 9mm

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  1. H.P.

H.P. Guest

Looking into picking up and M&P for my next gun. What's everyone's thoughts on the .40 vs the 9mm? Does the .40 have a lot more kick or are they farely balanced. Mind you, this is going to be my first 'real' gun, but I have shot 9mm, .40, .45's, etc

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

.40 is snappier than 9mm but it's really just personal preference since the ballistics of two comparable +p rounds is extremely similar.

Whichever you prefer really

3. H.P.

H.P. Guest

guess i'll go shoot them both. maybe i can find someone around he has one or the other. $15 to rent a gun at the range :wtc:

thoughts about XD too? I'm just really at a loss what to go after right now

ibrust

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The M&P40s don't shoot too bad, but I'd still go 9mm. I understand the 9mm are also less prone to the "mag dropping out of the gun" issue some M&P's suffered.

5. 99_civic_ex

99_civic_ex Active Member

I say go .40. The recoil is not as bad as others say it is and besides, you'll get used to it.

6. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

really...? thats an odd one

7. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I hate .40, 9mm or 45acp ftw

8. MTech

MTech New Member

40 has nothing to do with it, it's the actual mag release itself that had the issue and they changed the design of it all together. Plus if you had one of the weaker ones and call them they just send out the new one for you.

I've shot both and have the say there's a reason why DocGKR uses the M&P as the only .40 they recommend anybody to buy. If I got a .40 in anything it'd be the M&P. However between the two I got the 9 because you get more capacity, even less recoil, easier follow up shot and since it's cheaper ammo more time at range + more practice = better shot. If we were talking about ball ammo than sure the .40 is bigger, but we're all using hollowpoints here for defense and with technological advances you can get the same or damn close to the same performance with a good round... So with that in mind...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial,stencil]Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial,stencil]Notes:
    -- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

----------------------------------------

Basically all the standard service calibers work when fed good quality ammunition. The platform picked tends to dictate the caliber. For example, Glocks and Sigs tend to run best in 9 mm; the S&W M&P is the first .40 S&W pistol that seems to offer an ideal ergonomic and shooter friendly package; while a properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with a S&W .45 ACP M&P, HK45, S&W 4566, or possibly the SA .45 ACP XD.

Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to using it for duty. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use. :bigthumb:
    [/FONT]

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10mm or .45

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

So many suggestions, but we don't know what your going to be using it for?

Plinking? go with the cheaper ammo.

Defensive? go with the one with more stopping power

I'm tossed on defensive though, because I also believe it's all about shot placement.

they're both good guns, but let your intentions drive your requirements.

11. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I would get the 9mm if you ever go out to the range. .40S&W is a good cartridge, but it is considerably more expensive than 9mm (everything is), so it sucks if you are going to practice a lot with the gun. I'm about to pick up a .45ACP 1911. I will also be picking up the reloading stuff for it, because ammunition is so expensive.

I also have an M&P9 fullsize, and I really enjoy the gun. I've put 1000+ rounds through it, and so far it hasn't failed to fire or anything, so I think the M&P line is a good one to look at.

12. MTech

MTech New Member

+1

13. H.P.

H.P. Guest

mostly just recreation. but hell, anything is better for home defense that my neos lol

14. MTech

MTech New Member

9mm FTW.

Throw some Ranger -T's or Gold Dot's in there for HD and you'll be good to go.
    Plus the Crimson Trace grips are now out.

15. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Why not the .45?

16. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Where's the "neither" option on the poll :confused:

17. H.P.

H.P. Guest

Eventually, but I would rather get better at shooting with something easier and cheaper to shoot before moving up. Basically, I want a stepping stone from a .22 to a .45

18. Coottie

I hear ya. I'm just getting started in shooting myself and I'm looking at the M&P as my first full sized gun. Hell I haven't shot much in my life but I do like the looks and the feel of these guns. I haven't shot them yet but next time at the range I'm going to.

I'm thinking about the .45 for home/self defense but I want to shoot it a lot and I'm not sure I can afford all the ammo. I might be better off going with the 9mm but I dunno....I'm so torn.

19. Coottie

Man....I just got home from the range. Shot the M&P 9mm and holy crap, that's a nice gun!! Not much recoil and feels great in my hands. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be my first gun...but to make sure, I'm going back to shoot the .40.

20. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

9mm, highly recommended. Check av for proof of badassery.

21. Slick26

:greddy: Typical.

:mamoru:

22. Slick26

Bring on the CT for the Compacts. :bigthumb: Anytime now would be nice.

23. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

usually the best answer to any gun thread with a poll :o :)

24. Dr. Fuckface

I have a first-class seat on this bandwagon.

25. Dr. Fuckface

Think of it this way: it's going to be more expensive to get the first gun, decide that you don't want it, and then go back and get what you really wanted in the first place (.45), just because you were afraid of ammo costs.

Search some of the threads here for reloading info, I spent about $750 on my reloading 'quipment, but you can do it for probably half that, if you're willing to do the work and less rounds/hour.