M-audio revolution

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rocker_II, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

Has anybody made the move from an audigy to an m-audio revolution? Is the sound quality a big improvement over the audigy? I'm tired of my piece of shit and its drivers. Thought I would get a better answer in here.

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

The Revo is mainly useful for its HTPC functionality. You can tweak levels for each channel and do all this other weird stuff. I would say if you want strictly sound quality, check out the DMX 6fire LT (~$100) or if you want something cheaper than that, look at the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz ($45 @ newegg). Both of those have great driver packages and sound awesome.

3. 04

04 Guest

The sound quality between the audigy and the revolution will most likely be identical, and if not identical, it will be VERY hard to tell a difference.

However, the revolution was designed as more of an "audiophile" card and uses better quality parts. It also has 7.1 output support, which I believe the creative doesnt have (I doubt many people use 7.1 though).

IMO it really depends on what you are doing to justify the price difference. Like Ghetto91Accord said, the revolution is very good for home theater, because it has a coaxial SPDIF output. The creative has a sketchy 1/8" SPDIF output that from what I hear runs at a very high voltage. You will also need to buy an adaptor for it.

However, if you are going to run a pair of headphones, or use the analog outs, the difference between the two should not be very big.

As far as software goes, the revolution might be better, or the audigy, I don't know.

4. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

I've been reading a few reviews on it and everyone seems to say that it sounds slightly better than an audigy 2, not as good as the dmx 6fire(~$250 version).

5. geometrikal

geometrikal Guest

have a look at the audio equipment forum at www.hydrogenaudio.org, they talk about this stuff, do tests etc all the time

6. 04

04 Guest

:bigthumb: Hydrogenaudio is one of the best audio discussion sites on the web IMO.