MMA Lyoto Machida : "Quinton won the fight"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Ghost of Swayze, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

[​IMG]

TATAME

Directly interested in the Light-heavyweight championship belt, Lyoto Machida disagreed on the judges decision that made Forrest Grifin the new champion. "Look.. to me, Quinton beat Forrest, but they gave it to Forrest. I think the UFC wants a champion that Chuck Liddell can beat, so he can win the belt again.. he is an ex-champion, sells more and has more marketing." said Lyoto, who also analyzed Anderson Silva moving up in weight "I think Anderson can do well in any category, he is fast and very technical, thats his difference from the others." commented Lyoto, who doesn't want to fight his friend. "That doesn't even go through my head. He is a great friend of mine and helps me a lot. He is older than me and always helps me on what to do, I don't want to fight him" ended Lyoto.

http://www.tatame.com.br/2008/07/08/Lyoto-Para-mim-Quinton-venceu
    Lyoto: “Para mim, Quinton venceu” :: TATAME ::

"from the sherdog boards"

2. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Here is an article from Sherdog that quotes a few other fighters as well (take notice to Shamrocks response,lulz)

n the aftermath of one of the more memorable main events of a major UFC -- Forrest Griffin (Pictures)'s unanimous decision over Quinton Jackson (Pictures) -- the Mandalay Bay Events Center became a maelstrom of reaction Saturday night.

Some Rampage supporters were incensed at the decision in favor of Griffin, though Griffin's supporters were flabbergasted as to why these people were so irate.

Was it Griffin's in-and-out kickboxing or Jackson's sporadic power strikes that deserved the edge? Was it Griffin's guard play and attempted triangle choke or Jackson's attempted slam to break the submission?

Griffin's game warranted the win according to the judges, who gave him the nod on tallies of 48-46 (twice) and 49-46. But two judges, Adalaide Byrd and Roy Silbert, favored Griffin 10-9 even in the opening stanza, during which Rampage floored him with a stinging uppercut.

Debate has followed, but who truly won?

Sherdog.com spoke with various fighters and coaches to get their opinions on the UFC 86 main event, which has accidentally become a perfect catalyst for what could be the most viewed rematch in UFC history.

Chuck Liddell (Pictures): I thought Forrest won, but I was sitting next to Jay Glazer (Pictures) and he thought Rampage won. It was very close.

Mike Whitehead (Pictures): I was sitting front row. It was clearly three rounds to two in favor of Forrest.

Mac Danzig (Pictures): I might be a little biased because Forrest is a good friend and training partner, but in my opinion Forrest won the fight hands down, three rounds to two. He outworked him from beginning to end, and even though not everything he threw landed, at least he fought the whole time instead of just looking for one big shot. You know, Forrest trained hard for this fight and it showed. He was training in the gym everyday, not running around with a chain around his neck, telling people he's a thug.

Frank Shamrock (Pictures): Sorry, I don't watch the UFC.

Eddy Millis (Pictures): I was there, 10th row. Rampage won 48-46.

David Loiseau (Pictures): Rampage won. Forrest lost the first, third and fourth rounds.

Dewey Cooper (Pictures): The fight was close. The first and fourth rounds were the only rounds that really could be argued for either fighter. The first I gave to Rampage. The second was all Forrest, and I scored it 10-8. Forrest did a terrible job in the third and let Quinton back into the fight. I gave the third to Quinton. The fourth was so close I scored it 10-10. In the fifth Forrest out-hustled Rampage, and my final score was 48-47 for Forrest.

Gray Maynard (Pictures): I think Forrest won. Quinton won two rounds, Forrest won three. Forrest dictated the whole fight except for a couple quick explosions from Quinton. It was a great fight and close, but Forrest kept his game plan and was more active for three rounds.

Duke Roufus: I've been here at MFS training Ben Rothwell (Pictures). Pat Miletich (Pictures), [K-1] Pat Barry, Ben Rothwell (Pictures) and myself all watched the fight and we all thought Forrest won.

Phil Baroni (Pictures): I don't know how two judges gave Forrest that first round, man. That's some bulls---. I thought Rampage clearly won the fight. That first round could have been 10-8 for Rampage!*

* Sherdog.com's Mike Sloan said Baroni gave this quote in person and on the record Saturday night shortly before doing an on-camera interview regarding his upcoming Cage Rage bout. However, Baroni has since denied offering this opinion on the Jackson-Griffin fight being scored wrongly, saying the decision was "a fair one."

Cung Le (Pictures): Rampage won the first round with the knockdown, lost the second round bad. He won the third, but in the fourth he did not do enough to win and lost the fifth. I wanted Rampage to win, but you gotta take it from the champ. But the way I score, Rampage lost.

Cub Swanson (Pictures): I thought Rampage won. I had Rampage winning rounds one, three and four. Forrest won the second easily and the fifth. I'd love to see it happen again.

Gabe Ruediger (Pictures): I watched the fight and thought Forrest won. He was more active and did a great job of sticking to his game plan. I felt it wasn't decisive, but that only comes if you don't allow it to go to the judges. I thought Forrest won but wouldn't have been surprised if [the judges] had Rampage winning instead.

Cole Miller (Pictures): Forrest won three rounds to two.

Josh Thomson (Pictures): It was close, but I thought Rampage won three rounds to two.

Alan Belcher (Pictures): When the fight was over, my initial reaction was that Forrest won but they are going to give it to Rampage. My score was first round Rampage 10-9, second round Forrest 10-8, and rounds three [through] five all for Forrest 10-9.

Erik Paulson (Pictures): I thought Forrest won. I watched it with Josh Barnett (Pictures) and all my fighters, and we all sat and talked about it. We all thought Forrest won. We were all rooting for Rampage because Josh helps to train him, but it was a close fight. It was a great fight, actually. He landed some good shots, but I think the length of Forrest really threw him off. It was weird because it looked like Rampage was lacking some zest for that fight. But yeah, we all thought Forrest had won.

3. Ghost of Swayze

Machida is like a god amongst men...well atleast to some people

4. Ghost of Swayze

Haha..ofcourse Liddell thought Forrest won..he probally nutted his pants

5. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Most of the fighters seem to thing Forrest won.

Ive been a rampage fan for a while, but I just dont think he won that fight. I dont agree with the scoring, but I think the end result was the correct one.

6. Ghost of Swayze

I thought it was a real close fight. Maybe a draw or a slight edge to page in my book. I know its all over and griffen is no doubt a top tier champ.

But the scoring was just wacky.

7. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

To be fair, three of those fighters quoted are Couture fighters (Maynard, Whitehead, and Danzig). Of course they are going to say Forrest, who is also a Couture fighter, won.

8. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

On the other hand, Forrest won by the judges cards and that is what counts. Lets all move on.

9. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Mac Danzig (Pictures): I might be a little biased because Forrest is a good friend and training partner, but in my opinion Forrest won the fight hands down, three rounds to two. He outworked him from beginning to end, and even though not everything he threw landed, at least he fought the whole time instead of just looking for one big shot. You know, Forrest trained hard for this fight and it showed. He was training in the gym everyday, not running around with a chain around his neck, telling people he's a thug

:rofl: Mac Danzig, what a dildo. Hope The Carpenter hammers his ass.

10. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Danzig sounds like hes asking for a severe ass-wooping.

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

My problem is with the Judges giving Forrest the 1st round. I believe Hamilton was the only one who gave Jackson the 1st and 4th rounds, and Forrest the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounds. The 3rd round was close enough that it could have gone either way, so I respect his scoring of the fight and would not be complaining about the decision if all 3 judges came to 48-46 in this manner (even though personally I gave Rampage the 3rd which would of meant a draw)....

12. not even all the fighters score the same rounds for the same guys

13. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i would say that the scoring was not right, but the final result was correct, as stated above. no way do i beleive forrest won the 1st round, however i do beleive he won 3 of the 5 rounds.

14. roose

roose Guest

Proper translation that makes machida look less douchy

15. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (MotoQ: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

they left out the part where gabe reutiger said "i'm hungry"

16. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

It wasn't an overwhelming victory for Forrest, but if the judges gave it to Rampage then I think he would have been robbed.

17. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Of course Machida wants Rampage as champ, he's someone he could potentially beat. He would have a tougher time against people like Chuck or even Forrest. Machida and Forrest both like to take it to decision and Forrest is a judges favorite.

18. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

Frank Shamrock is a douche.

19. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

to me i feel like it could have gone either way...but since it was a title fight...you have to BEAT the champion to be the champion. you can't really say "undisputed LHW champion of the world" when it comes to forrest

20. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

DOT

21. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

lol@ danzig comment haha

22. ZZex

ZZex New Member

[​IMG]

23. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Quinton Jackson: "He whooped my ass."

:dunno:

24. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:uh:

There's no such thing as "undisputed champion" in MMA, since there are a dozen different promotions, each with its own champion.

"Undisputed" doesn't mean nobody argues over who should have won. It means all the different organizations (in boxing, the WBC, WBA, and IBF) have the same champion.

25. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Im so annoyed with people saying that you need to beat the champ convincingly and if the fight was close you need to give it to the champ. Thats some bs who ever wins should win if forest won a close fight then its his it doesnt matter who the hell the champ is/was