A&P Lustre vs Matte when printing professionally?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by goten2000, Jan 20, 2010.

1. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

What is Lustre? Do you guys prefer it over Matte?

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The two types of papers are 'coated', and 'matte'. The difference is the finish on top of the paper. all gloss, semi-gloss, lustre, etc papers are coated. This just means they have some sort of gloss enhancer added on top of the fibers of the paper.

Matte papers do not have this, and therefore do not have any gloss, thus their name...

Read on if you're printing at home, if you're going to costco, just /thread now...

lustre is a type of coated, glossy paper. It is typically more towards the softer, more textured side, as opposed to gloss, which is very reflective and shiny.

Most printers cannot print on both matte and coated papers, as the black/grey inks are formulated differently for adhesion purposes, so if you're printing at home, you'll be stuck with either one kind or the other.

I had been a fan of matte papers for a loooong time, as there were problems with coated papers giving off bad reflections, and the inks metamorizing (when light reflects off of an image, and the colors change), but there are a few new papers out, and new printers out that fix that...

The best coated paper out there right now is Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. It's beautiful. It looks just like silver prints from the darkroom. Great texture, nice gloss, but no color shifts or weird gloss properties...

My favorite matte papers are Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art, and Moab Entrada Natural, but I like warm toned papers. Both of these have a really nice texture and weight, and are still able to capture all of the detail and sharpness in an image, despite their matte surface. I've used these two papers for all of the paper prints in my gallery shows.

3. dmora

dmora Guest

I hate matte papers :mad: I haven't found one I like that doesnn turn my prints in to poop.

I REALLY love Illford Gallerie satin. Very sexy.

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Some of the larger prints i've had done through millers on their e-surface with matte laminate have turned out to be pretty amazing,

5. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

depends on the application, and also the image being printed.

6. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

what kind of images go w/ each? animal shots? architecture? landscapes? portraits?

7. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

it's a little more than that. Depends on the style of image. One style of portrait might look great on super glossy paper, where as another style of portrait would look good on a matte paper.