A&P Lumix digital cameras?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NisAznMonk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Anyone know about the brand Lumix from Panasonic? I can get them for a pretty good price, but I wanted to see if they were even worth the trouble. I've never had anything other than the Canon brand, but the price is hard to beat.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

a frend has an FZ20, just upgraded to an FZ30, he is absolutely stoked.

Ive heard good reviews too, but that was a while ago and I have a bad memory, so check it out for yourself.

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've heard they are great cameras and the glass is quality.

4. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

I have an old DMC LC5. I like it alot but the only thing is i'm stuck with the lens thats on there unless i buy an adapter. It takes great pics though. I'm probably going to upgrade to a nikon this summer.

5. mucky

mucky .

Leica lenses > Canon non-L lenses

6. mojito

mojito New Member

do research on the indivdual models. They can be great, though they were some of the most returned and warrantied cameras that I ever sold.

7. Relay

Relay New Member

I just purchased fz7 and took it with me on a tour of China.

the pictures came out great, battery life was great, and it weighs next to nothing.

also, it comes with an adapter that lets you put 52mm filters on it. I tossed on a UV filter so i didnt have to worry about the lens getting messed up while walking around with the camera around my neck.

The low-light preformance is nice, i was able to hand hold shots at night with no flash and they came out nice.

I am happy with my choice.

8. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

they use L-glass. ftw.

9. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

They suck. I have the fz 10. If you really get into photography you will be rather dissapointed at the limitations.

First of lens is not interchangeable.

Low light sucks. Barrel distortion and purple fringing are VERY noticable at the far end of the zoom spectrum. Never shoot on anything less than the lowest ISO or grain will run rampent through your photos. SD card FTL.

The fz 30 is an improvement but for the price splurge and get a 5d. You won't be dissapointed. I'm sorry I bought this cam.

So, unless you take photos in bright bright light, don't use depth of field (as your f stop range is pitiful and can't be changed) like grain and love barrel distortion and purple fringes, don't get it. Splurge and get a real camera. I wish I did :(

10. Relay

Relay New Member

http://www.andrewsalazar.com/Night.jpg
    [​IMG]

This was shot handheld, no flash, on the high sensitivity setting...which is basically high ISO.

Yes you dont get interchangeable lenses, but we arent talking about SLR cameras. If you want a nice point and shoot, then the fz7 is awesome

edit: i dunno why the picture isnt showing for me in the post...but the URL is the direct link to the image.

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

wow, thats pretty crisp & well saturated for a hand held shot!

But as Valance said your probably getting close to the price of a 'real' setup, so be sure you dont want to do that instead.

12. Relay

Relay New Member

True the price is up there. But I also have a 20D and a D70 that I use for other work I do.

I bought the panasonic to have a nice camera to carry around easily on my china trip.

13. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

then it works for you. it's for some, and not for others. i found out too late the fz10 is not for me.

the fz 30 is supposedly light years ahead of the fz10. however. for the price i'd rather splurge and get something universally accepted as quality and without the major drawbacks of a vlr.

14. Relay

Relay New Member

word.

15. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

I own a Panny FZ15. Great fucking camera! Only thing I wish it had is a hot shoe. :wtc:

[​IMG]