GUN Lucky guy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by acoop101, Nov 12, 2009.

1. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

I went in to my local gun shop yesterday to get one of my rifles bore sighted, as usually happens I get to BSing with the owner. Any way this guy comes in with a fired 3006 case that had been almost blown apart, it had a huge crack in the case about half an inch from the primer. Both the owner and I were shocked and told the guy he was very lucky he didn't get hurt, he asked what happened and said the rifle was in his truck. The rifle was a Mauser action rebarreled in 3006 which was then rechambered in 300 win mag, the new caliber was stamped on the barrel next to the original caliber stamp. So the 3006 cartridge this guy fired was fire formed to a 300 win-mag chamber. I never completely understood just how strong a mauser action is.

Does anyone have any other stories like this to share?

Cliffs: Guy gets rechambered mauser from father-in-law marked for both 300 win mag and 30-06 tries to shoot 30-06 in it gets a face full of burning powder brings it in to local gun shop, it's a 300 win mag.

2. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I was sighting in a 30-06 at a local range and the bullets kept key holing at 100 yards and we couldn't figure out why, until we looked at the box of shells we were firing only to find that they were labeled .270 win. We were damn lucky that the parent case of .270 is 30-06. :mamoru:

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

guns: for the less detail minded