LT1 Trans Am vs LT1 Z28

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NetChemica, Jan 24, 2005.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Which one has the faster acceleration? I hear low 14's for the z28 and high 14's for the T/A. Is that true? I thought they were identical besides for looks and interior.

Also, which is easier to work on and has further potential?

2. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Anyone who's telling you that is full of it. LT1 F-bodies are identical. Unless you're talking WS6 vs. SS (in which the WS6 might be SLIGHTLY quicker because of a less circuitous hood scoop), they should run exactly the same. In the case of a stock LT1, high 13's to low 14's.

3. Dr. Pnutz

Dr. Pnutz Guest

There's only .1 of a second diffirence between the two

4. My84Z

My84Z New Member

all f body's with the same motors are the same. ws6 SS z28 T/a....

5. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

so what should I expect for an ET on a 93 LT1?

6. My84Z

My84Z New Member

anywhere in the 14's depending on if you can drive.

7. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Depends on if it's auto or manual. Interestingly, the '93 Manual tranny LT1's are considered some of the fastest LT1 4th gens because they use speed density, as opposed to MAF. However, the auto '93s are considered some of the slowest, because they used the standard 4L60 tranny, as opposed to the electronically controlled 4L60E, which they went to in '94.

My guess? I'd say maybe a 14.3 to 14.4 with an auto, and maybe a 13.8 to 14.0 with a manual, assuming it's well-driven.

Other big factor with these cars is maintenance. If they're not well maintained, they'll be running slower.

8. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Damm, it's such a fuckin bitch finding a 6spd LT1. I've seen a few for under $7,000 and they are all well over 90k miles. Mother fuck, overwhelming amounts of auto, but barely any in standard.

9. ThoR294

ThoR294 New Member

TELL ME ABOUT IT! Ahhhh, I've been looking for stick Firebird FOREVER... everytime I find one its out of my price range!!!:ugh:

10. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

I used to think LT1 was teh lose

Until a buddy of mine @ work went 12.2 @ Bristol in his 97 Z28 convertible auto with stock ported heads and all the bolt-on's...now he's got a 150 wet shot and he says he won't be satisfied w/his car until he's in the 9's. That bastard.

11. lt1pwrdz28

lt1pwrdz28 Guest

they are the same cars, and no just because a ws6 has the hood that it has doesnt give it more of an advantage.

the seal between the hood and the airbox is not air tight therefore all the air comming in doesnt all go in the airbox. the variable is too hard to say one way or the other

between any lt1/lt1 (stock) shoot-out it is a drivers race. (no there were different gear options for the cars which would make a difference on how the car performed.)

12. lt1pwrdz28

lt1pwrdz28 Guest

go read the forums at www.camaroz28.com

there are many lt1s going 200,000 + miles and still going strong

Unless its just a peace of mind you are looking for then i would say get one with more miles.........means the more money you have for mods. And you might even be able to get another engine for one if you really wanted. (just research about it)........i wish i had done that before i bought my car

13. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Agreed, but you have to admit, the WS6 does, at least, get some more cool air into the engine compartment. Not saying it's a significant difference or anything, but possibly a very slight one.

And I agree that the gearing is very important on LT1's, much more so than on LS1's, I'd say. Primarly because of the LT1's low end grunt, but it really falls on its face after 5000 RPM. Stick a set of 4.10's in there, and you really won't have that problem. ;)

14. KillerJello

KillerJello New Member

True, very true

P.S.-- I am lt1pwrdz28 (i created a new name because i like killerjello better than lt1pwrdz28 and i couldnt figure out how to change that one)

15. Faceless

Faceless New Member

Same god damn car