LT1 Camaro vs DOHC Mustang GT

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Feb 23, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I'm guessing the Camaro would be better? I'm just looking for some educated opinions on the matter..
    Which one is easier to make more power with? (did I say that right..?) Camaro handles better, LT1 camaro will cost me less, LT1 is a reliable and strong motor... So where does the GT fall in here? Would it be safe to assume the Camaro is the better car for the money in this situation?

Mustang will probably pick more chics up though :o But I don't need a sports car to do that :naughty: :fawk:

Sorry for all the mustang threads, I just want to make an informed decision when I trade my car in (this summer hopefully) :o

2. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Deffinitley the Camaro, its faster, but I feel the interior is pretty nasty. Thats if you are all into the comfort and whatnot.

Mustang GT's in stock form are just plain slow. I don't care who you are, or what year your car is, its just slow. The Mustang does pick up more chicks, that is.. those chicks who don't know any better. Its always fun to race a GT and rape him and his chick sitting in the passanger seat though :)

3. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

As far as I know, the mustang GT's are SOHC, the Cobras are DOHC. The DOHC motors are tought competitors for the LS1, and the LS1 beats the LT1 in every category.

I'm not too familiar with either of the four motors mentioned, but I've been looking for an american V8 for a while and this is just what I've gathered so far.

4. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Here is a little website I dug up with some good times for all cars.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 14.2
    1994 Ford Mustang GT - 15.1

Thats the difference right there, an entire second! I mean, my car runs ~14.0 and I still feel its friggen slow.

Even if you get into the later year Mustangs, its not much better.

1999 Ford Mustang GT - 14.1

5. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

He's asking about potential wise. I mean, if he's getting a DOHC ford V8 (which only comes in cobras ... again as far as I know) then the ford v8 would be a much better choice.

6. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Yeah, well I deffinitely can't get over the sound. The DOHC motor sounds WAYYY better than the LT1. The potential is there, but its there for both cars. There are plenty of LT1's with stock intakes running into the low 12's. In reality, there is potential for any car if you have the cash. Just in stock form, the Mustang is disadvantaged.

In all honesty, I think the 93-97 Camaros are particularly ugly. I mean, I really really don't like the way they look. The 98-02's look much better IMO. I feel the same for the 93-97 Trans Am's, also ugly. However the 98-02's are HOT!

7. StealthMode

Oh...for a sec I thought the GT came in DOHC form in 03 or something... :o

Whats the difference between the SS and Z28 exactly? And where does the RS fit in.. I'm leaning more towards the LT1 Camaro atm, for one, because it's cheaper, will be able to put more money towards making it faster comapared to a newer car. And I really like the looks of the LT1 Camaro's.. LS1 would indeed be better, but I am not sure I want to jump up to that price bracket at the moment..

8. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

The differences between the SS and Z28 are pretty much the price. Yes, there are a couple of minor upgrades, but that all goes away if you are going to be modding your own car, so get the Z28 if you do.

The RS is a V6 car starting from '93, so stay away.

LS1's are indeed better, the '98 year model ones are getting pretty cheap now. They are slightly more reliable than the older LT1's becuase of the use of coil packs instead of the optispark, which can be expensive when it goes out, and yes, the LT1 optispark WILL go out.

I don't really know that much about mustangs, so I couldn't tell you which years have the DOHC.

9. StealthMode

Alright, how much of a price difference are we talkin between a 97 Z28 and a 98 Z28?
    If it's not going to be that much of a jump, I might as well say screw the LT1's and just grab the LS1. Nicer interior, (the 93-98's have similar interior to my Olds Achieva :o) better motor, etc..

10. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

11. StealthMode

Any problems I should watch for with a 98, or 97 for that matter?

12. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

as far as the mustang vs f body debate goes, here is my two cents, take from it what you will...

my 94 formula was not reliable in the least, from all the little shit like window motors and tail lights going out that everyone experiences, right up to the motor - damn thing never ever felt right, never felt safe in traffic unless i treated it just like it wanted to be treated, i am sure however this is not the case with most LT1's

but generally speaking it was just a pain in the ass to drive all the time, and the little problems will give you a hell of a headache
    my friend's 2001 SS has had all the same problems, window motors, tail light, horn stopped working for a time
    other friend's 2002 formula has the same problems, so its not limited to the older cars

on the other hand, the 2000 GT in my family has had not one problem in 87,000 miles, not a thing, though again i am sure this is not always the case

as for DOHC vs. LT1, every magazine time i have ever seen for the two places them about equal down the quater mile, seen as low as 13.6 or 13.7 for both from motor trend no less

so do you like low end grunt (which coincidentally my fucked up LT1 never had, go figure) and a T56 or a 7,000 rpm redline and top end power?

just my two cents

13. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

also, blown 32v = lots of power

4.6's love air

14. Butz

Butz Guest

The LT1 Camaro is a better car than the Mustang..

enough said..

15. slow4mula

slow4mula Guest

LT1 > SOHC 4.6
    LS1 > DOHC 4.6

There are many articles (and its known fact) the SOHC 4.6 is a joke. It takes way too much to get it to perform worth a shit.

LT1's are good once you ditch the stock ignition and modify them. They make a cheap solid platform to do major modification...ie bigger cubes, FI, etc.

DOHC 4.6 do indeed love air, thats what they come with superchargers in the newest Cobras. The motors in the Cobras seem to be well built and have lots of potential...very solid with a forged bottom end. The car itself though is heavy and its a mustang which just isn't my thing. I would buy the motor and put it in another car long before I paid the outrageous price for a good motor surrounded by a heavy shell that imho feels cheap as shit.

The LS1 is highly praised by the automotive community in general because of its low maintainence, great power output, great gas mileage, etc. It has been on many top 10 lists of best motors in the world. It has almost unlimited potential for making power through all avenues depending on what the owner wishes to accomplish. They can make insane power running all motor because of an already great flowing head design. With a set of good stock worked heads (p&p, valves, etc.) and the right cam along with the supporting boltons (exhaust, intake, pullies, etc.) 500RW horsepower out of a stock displacement 346 is possible and is actually becoming pretty normal if you know what you are doing. These cars still get over 20 mpg on the highway. You can bore/stroke an LS1, forge the bottom end, go insane with forced induction and make basically almost any power level you want. For the cost the LS1 and other gen 3 smallblock motors is no question the best powerplant for a performance car.

These guys complaining about window motors...the windows themselves on an f-body are much larger than a mustang, because unilke a mustang they aren't shaped like a box. It takes an hour to change a window motor and its much faster after the first time. To each his own, but I don't mind chaning a little window motor when i have a good dependable car that makes 480 horsepower and gets over 20mpg on the highway.

The wise choice would be a early model LS1 98-00 and just start from there and learn.

There was a performance shop that took a 98 LS1 with over 100,000 miles and strapped on a single turbo kit (t-76) and made if i remember right something around 800rwhp basically just beating on the motor for over a month...doing something like 200 dyno pulls and the motor never let go...quite remarkable

5k well spent (or less) + any ls1 fbody and you can have a dependable 10 second street car that you can drive anywhere...thats everyday on motor. You do that math thats maybe 10-12k for a nice condtion f-body plus 5 grand...

Obviously you want a nice overall car that handles well, has modern accomidations like a/c, stereo, etc. (not a straight race car). If all you wanted to do was make a race car and you wanted it cheap buy a foxbody mustang :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  16. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Well I own a 95 Z28, and I've never had a problem with tail lights, or window motors. I've also know dozens of other people who owned F-bodys, and never really had a problem. Window motors seem to be a sticky point on some of these cars due to the large windows, but it's not an expensive or particularly difficult fix. I helped somebody change his out in an hour. It usualy comes down to how well you treat the car, like anything else.
    Also unless you are talking about the 03 Cobras with the blown 4.6, don't waste your time. When my LT1 was just running bolt ons, I used to destroy stock or mildly modded Cobra's all the time, it seriously wasn't even a match from a stop, the only time these things could even come close to hanging was on the hiway.
    Now I killed my LT1 after running heavy doses of nitrous every weekend. The manifold doesn't distribute a big wet shot well putting more stress on some cylinders than others, and the thing spun a bearing just around 95k miles. However I never had to change my optispark, and the reason for this is simple. After 1995, GM went with a vented optispark unit to prevent moisture from building up inside the case. This dropped the failure rate tremendously, so as long as you don't get the thing wet from cleaning the engine, or changing the water pump, you'll be okay. Also the 1996+ coils seemed to be the strongest units. If the opti does become a problem, you now have numerous options to choose from, such as the LTCC conversion.

My 1995 Z28 is now home to a 1999 LS1. I did the swap mainly because I got a great deal a the time, and I was one of the first to do that type of a swap back in '99. However if it wasn't for the temptation of a challenge and new technology, I would have used the same money to rebuild my LT1 and make it even more powerful, maybe in the form of a 396 stroker motor. The LT1 is certainly cheap speed, and I would have been happy with it. In fact I still am, with the LT1 that I drive every day in my 1996 Impala. 150K+ and still runs like it's almost new.

17. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

modular 4.6 mustang motors love the boost..
    if you want a mustang get a 5.0 .. way better if you wanna mod (cheaper and bigger numbers)

as far as f-body vs pony..

i have 2 buddies with lt1 carmaros.. one is an Auto.. the other is a 6 speed.. as far as racing goes.... they loose everytime to me in my 5.0.. yes im modified and they are slightly modified but before my mods.. we were both pretty much even.. it all depended on who got the shot off the line.

pony sn95 gen 1 just suck ass.. dont fool with them unless they are cobras.. sn95 gen II are better but i still wouldnt touch um with a 10 footpole.. money talks in modding.. and im not the type of person that is gonna throw down 2x as much as i need

18. StealthMode

Well she will be my daily driver until the snow flies, and I'm sure the LS1 in stock form will whoop my ass :o I drove my friends 98 TA auto last summer and holy sheeet! Gunned her and sure enough she hunkered down and left my balls in the back seat! (rememer, I drive a four banger Olds Achieva :o ) So I just want something reliably fast with great potential for when I get to that point.
    At this point I think I can safely count the Cobra out, unless I find one that I fall in love with before a 98-00 Camaro/TA, and the GT is out for sure..
    I looked up the value on the Kelly BlueBook and it said that a 98 will be abot a grand or two more than a 97 with roughly 80Kish on the odo, which was about $8.5k - 10k roughly. That is sure more appealing than $20k for a new GT :hsd:

19. StealthMode

20. AcidAngel_5.0

i bought my 88' 5.0 all stock with 94k miles for 5k in mint condition only a few years back.. i can think of atleast heavily modified 5.0s in my area goin for under 8k.

mine is. 1988 5.0 GT
    tfs track heat heads
    tfs street heat intake
    tfs stage 1 cam
    1.6rr
    underdrives pullies
    liftersn,rods.. blah blah all the lil stuff to go along
    BBK equal length shorties
    Bassani X
    40 series flows w/ turndowns
    kirban FPR
    aluminum driveshaft
    tremec t-3550
    fluidyne aluminum radiator
    msd 6AL
    BM electric fan
    3g altenator
    pro 5.0 short shifter
    75mm MAS conversion (Pro-M)
    24# bosch injectors
    70mm TB
    190 fuel pump
    red top battery
    removal of all smog stuff

suspension:
    steed sport springs

exterior:
    brand new paint job
    stormin normal 2 1/2" hood
    LX tailights (not the cheese shredders)

interior:
    polk audio 6" and 6'x8
    mtx amp
    kenwood flip face head unit

thers more but thats all i can come up with off the top of my head

21. StealthMode

Nice :cool:
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the older 5.0's too much, I like the 99-04's the best, and that would be the only years I would really want to get a Stang. But that's just me :dunno: I've always been a huge fan of the F-bodys though, every year but the mid to late 70's :o

22. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

Id rather have a Cobra over a camaro.

23. StealthMode

Do the 98+ Camaro/TA's have LSD?

24. AcidAngel_5.0

well i cant say im biased to any side.. i just like my 5.0 the best of the big 3 i have.. guess its more along the lines because i can "play" with it and not be scared if something happens..
    i also have a 79 z28 mint condition and a 79 Bandit edition TA (smokey and the bandit style).. now if i mess those up i would be to pissed since you cant find either of them hardly...

and one side note.. another reason i wouldnt get lt1 style is because of the optispark.. ugh.. that shit sucks when it goes bad

25. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

all the V8s (WS6s, T/As,Z28s and SS's) have a limited slip rear, and a weak one. It's a 7.5" 10 bolt, that has been the weakest point for the F-body. I suggest if you want to make any real power (over 400rwhp) you pick up a differant rear, like a 12bolt.