LT1 buildup

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dr.zed, Feb 18, 2007.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

For my 94 Camaro.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Nice, what heads and rotating assembly did you go with? Flow numbers and such?

The build up for my LT1 car consisted of removing the lt1 and m6, followed by installing the ls1 and a4:hsugh:

3. good choice, although I would have stayed with the t-56

4. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

my dad has a m6 cam only ls1 so if i get the urge to drive it I can just take that one out. I'm honestly just tired of all the clutch bullshit and all. Through in a tight nitrous converter in and call it a day.

5. dr.zed

How did the LS1 fit under the hood? Did you have to change the fenders? What about the wiring and the factory gauges? Can you post pix?

Those are stock heads, stock valve sizes which have been ported. I bought a 95 engine on a stand to replace my numerously rebuilt 320,000 kms 94 engine. It came with "ported" heads. Didn't know to what extent until I disassembled the engine. Turns out they are stage 1. No flow numbers.

Used the stock crank, rods and pistons with ARP rod bolts. Balanced the entire assembly. I DO NOT believe in fancy parts unless FI or nitrous is added. A properly balanced with ARP rod bolts engine will last a long time running at 6000 RPM. I did upgrade the rocker bolts with 7/16 studs, and pro mag RRs and lightened locks and retainers and good springs.

I am really interested in your project man... post up details! :)

6. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Project hasn't actually taken place yet, parts are still slowley trickling in but its way easier then you may think. The engine bays remained the same 93-02 so it will fit in there nicely. I bought a stock longblock out of a 01 camaro that had (21,000 on it) last year. For the transmission I was going to try and get a reverse manual 4l80 but funds were running short. One of my friends just had a 4l60 fully rebuilt with a beast sunshell and red clutches by a respectable builder, so i'm just going to stick with that for now. Couldn't really beat it for $700 and it should hold up to some to 150 shot for at least the first season. Another friend of my gave me his 99 ls1 harness which I sent to Speartech. They will actually convert you entire harness over so that it plugs right into you LT1 body harness, and the also wire it so that you have an OBDII connector. For the fuel system you can just use the earlier LS1 fueld railes off the vette because they had a return line feed on them. Most guys don't know that and the actually replace their entire fuel system. Then you just need little things like the acessories, steering rack and ls1 k-member. The only thing that i really have to modify is the lines for the ac system. THey need to be welded/adapted to the lines that run into the passanger comparment. Other then some small things, thats really it. Not really that big of a hassel as long as you have the harness reworked and a lift for taking the engine out the bottom.

7. dr.zed

What about the body panels? The LS1 will fit under the stock hood.

Interesting. Do you have Speaktech's website???

Thanks!!!!

8. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

http://www.speartech.com/

The ls1 is actually smaller then the LT1 so it fist perfect. The cars are exactly the same from 93-02 except for different body harnesses and a new front clip (few other differences but not enough to really worry about).

If you want a harness from speartech, you would be best off going through my friend Jeff because he knows the owner pretty well. The guy told me he stoped making the conversion harness because they are mainly just doing ls2 harnesses now. After he talked to the guy after a while, Jeff convinced him to make me one, and he did it in like a week or two. Everything looks top notch on the harness.

Also one key thing you obvisouly need is the ls1 pcm (forgot to mention that above). Also some people say that you need to use the ls1 radiator but i'm gonna try my stock one first and see how it goes.

also one thing that is still up in the air is if the odometer is still going to work. 98+ cars have a digital odometer but i'm not sure the where that info is stored at. So hopefully it still works but its not a big deal because I don't plan on selling the car.

9. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I was one of the first to do this swap years ago in the 4th gens. I dropped a 99 drive line from a wrecked WS6 into my 95 Z28. th LS1 easily clears the hood and even the STB I had. Aside from the wire harnesses wich can now be adapted, there are a few real snags to be worked out. Here is where it got fucked up though. The K member is different, and so are the motor mounts. Passenger side clears, but the drivers side doesnt. Might be able to hack together something with the old motor mount, to the new one and get it to work with the existing K member, but I've found that most salvage yards will pretty much give you the K member for next to nothing. THEN comes another problem. After replacing the K member and dropping the engine it, I found that the power rack has a different input angle, so the existing steering shaft interfears heavily with the motor mount and header. The solution is to replace the old LT1 power rack with the newer LS1 rack insted. Again not an expensive problem if you hit the salvage yard, cost me about $75.

The other final snag is fuel delivery. LT1 use a return/bypass fuel system. LS1s use a returnless system. The pumps and lines are not setup to work with one another. There are several ways to solve this problem. I simply replaced the lines, harness and tank with the LS1 parts, since I already had the wrecked WS6. If I didn't already have the parts, I would simply convert the fuel rail of the LS1 to return/bypass system. This would require buying a fuel pressure regulator, cutting the rail apart and brasing AN fittings to them so you can loop it together with braided tubing. Again not exactly expensive, but it does require some skill.

10. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I'm just going to go ahead and use a tubular ls1 k member to by pass all of thoes problems with the motor mounts and all. Also just going to go with the ls1 power steering rack like you did as well.

As for the fuel rail, I can't remember if you have to modify the fuel line fittings or not but i'm almost 99% sure that you can just plug the lt1 return line right into the return line of the 97-98 vette fuel rails. A friend of mine did it like that so I will check out his car tonight when I swing by the shop. But using the fuel rail seems to be the easiest to way to get the everything in and working. I will eventually probably end up going with the composite plastic vic jr style intake thats going to be made by wilson, and run and entirly new fuel system. However, my goal is just to get the motor in and working at this point so that will have to wait till later.

11. dr.zed

Fuck yeh boys.

Will report back with some video from my first drive with the new engine. :)

12. dr.zed

Waiting for a new optispark to arrive. :hsugh:

13. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I loath the optispark:squint:

BTW double cheked and the vette fuel rail accepts the fittings on the lt1 fuel lines. So just "plug and play" i guess you could say lol

14. dr.zed

Pickup the car on Monday. Will take some video.

I am really impressed with the pan clearance!!!!

[​IMG]

15. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

what exhaust are you running, I never usually see anybody run the exhaust down around the front of the oil pan?

16. dr.zed

That is the y-pipe for a 93-94 f-body with single cats. You're used to the dual cat y-pipe which duals beside the one side of the engine than splits further back.

I am running Mac headers, Mac y-pipe and no cat.