LS/Vtec

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by yrneh, Sep 9, 2004.

1. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

How good are these? Heard they're not as reliable together.

2. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

get a nissan, you want something with torque

3. thafox

thafox Guest

ooo...snap snap...but seriously there not that bad i havent heard problems from them....u'd probably get a better answer from a honda/acura forum though

4. loserpunkx182

loserpunkx182 New Member

5. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

I'm just asking for a friend. I have a DSM. I have more torque than a nissan right now ;)

6. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

i was just teasin.lol i drive a sentra spec v.lol nothin to brag about here.lol

7. AgentC

AgentC Guest

thats depending if you use the stock pistons or not. Ls/vtec are as reliable as any other motor if built right. You can find alot more info on honda-tech though, i'm just giving you a taste....;)

8. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

you want to make sure the oil squirters/jets are properly installed with any 'hybrid' motor, they're usually reliable.

9. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

A great bang for your buck mod if you can get a cheap head, but beware of oil leaks and short life of the internals(maybe 20 to 40k miles depending on how you drive). Its all about rod to stoke ratios and the LS block wasn't built to rev to vtec like rpm's

10. EcheloN

EcheloN OH NOES!

LS block was not made for VTEC. As mention above its all about the r/s. Reliable if built right, but not for a daily driver. Expect to do rebuilds every 30k-40k miles. If you don't have the funds to maintain it, I'd say stay away.

11. AgentC

AgentC Guest

:slap: ...make sure its built right by someone who has built them before. EVERYONE, that says they are not reliable and only last till 40k miles are the people who have seen the motor but not built the right way. Our motors have seen 100k miles. The only thing that will blow a motor is builder error or driver error. Go on honda-tech, alot of people on here are not to smart and go on he said she said......:rolleyes:

12. EcheloN

EcheloN OH NOES!

You can say whatever you want but in the end you will need a rebuild. I don't care who builds it, if you want to maintain in properly you will have to do constant rebuilds. You can't put a motor togather that wasn't meant to be built like that and expect it to run without any problems. I've yet to see anyone put 100k on a LS/B20/VTEC, even on H-T. I'd gladly accept a link if you have one, because I'd be amazed myself.

13. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

untrue. Those little things don't really matter one bit, especially if you're using aftermarket forged internals (which you should be on LS/VTEC, because of the afore-mentioned rod/stroke ratio). Bottom line is, if you're going to do an LS/VTEC, do it right...do a very well built B20/VTEC. Personally, I won't play around with them much. I much prefer a turbo B18B1 or C1 to those extra 34 or so cc's of displacement from an LS or .2L from a CRVTEC set up.