A&P LR Crew: Whats your Laptop Workflow?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SuperCzar, Jan 3, 2008.

1. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I've been an Aperture user for a few months now, but got my hands on Lightroom, and like the presets and the CS3 integration better than Aperture.

The dealbreaker is that I don't have a ton of storage on my macbook, and keep a big chunk of my photos on an external drive.

With Aperture it's easy to export a project and import it into my external drive's library, I can't figure out a similarly easy way to manage my photos with Lightroom

What's your LR workflow? Gimme some ideas.

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

if i'm putting my CF card into my desktop computer, I:

- copy all images to a folder on my desktop
    - open Bridge and delete any "crap" photos
    - move all related images into their own folder with specific names and dates (Larry's Birthday Party - 11-24-07)
    - copy each specific folder to my external storage array
    - delete folder (that i just copied) from my desktop
    - open Lightroom and import folder from external storage

It won't work with images quite as quickly as if i left them on my local drive, but then i don't have to worry about moving them after being imported into LR.

If I am out of town, i usually import the photos into a brand new catalog in LR so I can screw around with them on the plane. Then, i'll come home, copy all of the images to my external, as well as the new .lrcat catalog file. then i'll import that catalog file into my regular "full" catalog.

seems to work quite well, and i don't have to worry about running out of storage space for quite a while (have 2 terabytes of storage on my external array).

:dunno:

if anyone has any tips for me, i'm all ears.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

pretty much the same as the desktop

connect laptop to external 1tb via firewire 800 cord I have run under the carpet
    open LR
    import via firewire card reader
    apply keywords and global "boost" preset at import
    for large shoots, I'll rate them with stars.
    for small shoots I'll just flag them
    Best ones get a collection for easy finding later
    backup to additional external and/or DVD

so I never store any photos on the mbp, unless I'm in the field, then I transfer when I get home. with firewire 800 it still runs fast enough and has enough room for my full 50k+ image library.

when I'm really lazy I'll hookup it up to our plasma :o

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  4. verbal

verbal Active Member

In for link to global boost preset.

When you move the folder that Lightroom created, do you have to tell Lightroom where it is? Or do you not keep pics catalog'd in LR?

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i need to get a TB drive

6. mojito

mojito New Member

see the LR sticky in this forum ;)

so what I do is at import, if it isn't a big shoot like a wedding, I select to MOVE the folder to (External HD Drive Letter:\Photography\Photos\Imported-to be sorted\

so then I import them, and then once imported, INSIDE lightroom you can drag them to the correct folder. This moves them on disk and keeps LR up to date on where they are.

If you move them outside LR, it will show them in red saying they are missing, you'll have to tell LR to locate the missing files, which takes longer to do and has the possibility of losing your metadata updates along the way (.xmp files).

7. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Just wondering how do most of you sort your photos in Lightroom folders. By Date? Event? Name? Right now most of the time I do snapshots I have them in dated folders ie 2008\2008-03-02. If its a event then its the event location and date ie "Club Zen 02.14.08"

8. mojito

mojito New Member

[​IMG]

9. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Thanks for the screenshot. I want to do some organizing so that gives me an idea.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

doesn't matter what you do, as long as what ever you do you keep it consistent and understand it :wavey: