Lowest Safe Calorie Intake

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Drewski, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewski

Drewski New Member

A buddy of mine is on a reduced calorie diet.

Rigth now he's taking in about BWx7 calories. Is it safe for your caloric intake to be that low 6 days a week?

Whats the lowest 'safe' caloric intake for an average person who is just looking to drop pounds?

2. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

The thing I dont understand about your metabolism dropping so much it goes into hibernation mode is that how do people who eat like 500 calories a day lose so much weight. Basically Im talking about anorexic type people. Would you lose more by eating like 2000 calories and working out then eat only like 500? Im just curious

3. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

That "longevity doctor" runs an hour or so every day, and eats about 700 cals a day only. He's actually getting most of his required nutrients though.

4. aLwZjIttERy

aLwZjIttERy Per vicis adveho verum...

USDA recommends no less than 1400 calories per day.....

5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

for how heavy of a person?

1400 calories can be a lot or a little depending on the person

6. aLwZjIttERy

It 1400 period. The more active you, the more calories your body needs. You always read on the nutrition facts on food that the serving sizes are based on a caloric intake of 2000 or 2500, but on average most people eat more than that in a day (I think its 3000, but don't quote me on that one...).

7. Drewski

Drewski New Member

no offense, but I find it hard to believe that the minimum calories for a day is 1400cal across the board

for me, thats just over half the calories my body needs to get through a fairly sedintary day. On the other hand, for somebody who weighs 90lbs, they'd have a caloric excess if they consumed 1400cal. Even for somebody who's 130lbs, thats only about 500cal under maintenance level (approx). For somebody that size, I think it would be fine for them to drop down below that 1400cal limit

8. aLwZjIttERy

My point is that 1400 is for an adult male, which I am assuming your friend is an adult male. In order for your body to carry out the most basic functions, such as your heart pumping blood, your body taking in air, etc, you need 1400. However for a physically active person, and especially one with a high % of muscle mass is constantly using up the body's energy sources, including calories. Chances are he cant fall below 2500 calories a day without getting sick, but the USDA says 1400 is the bare minimum for men. YOu can check out the 2005 Dietary Guidelines yourself.

9. Drewski

Drewski New Member

Sorry, still have a hard time believing it. Basic life functions include protein turnover, getting oxygen to LBM, even fat uses some calories. Those are all depenant on a person's size.

When I get a chance, I will give teh Dietary guileines a look. What I've posted below is part of an article Lyle McDonal worte about Metabolic Rate. The rest of it, and other good articles can be found at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ (god, I sound like a commerical)

10. Drewski

Drewski New Member

He already tried Keto for 2 weeks, which he hated, which is when talked him into a caloric deficit diet. I suggested that he start at BWx10 (2600cals) and have him going to the (3 days weights with cardio, 2 days cardio).

He just keeps dipping down to about BWx6-7 for calories because he wants to lose weight as fast as possible, and I just want to make sure it's not going to negatively impact his health or his weight loss goals.

11. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

how clean is his diet?

12. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I don't see his food log, but knowing him, I'd have to say pretty clean.

13. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

If his food log is clean and he is eating low calories, I don't see why he just doesn't psmf. :o

Its not that horrible...

14. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

The only significant problem I had with psmf was depression, but I'm already predisposed to that as it is. EC helped tremendously with hunger. Immune system might have went to shit, but I not sure if it was the diet or just other factors (weather, etc). Fat loss rate was outstanding.

15. shastaisforwinners

yeah, that's what I've found on Lyle's board too. Once I get back on medication, I'm going to try it again and see what happens.

Chemical imbalances suck :(

16. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

There was a guy on National Body Challenge that weighed 470 pounds who ate 800 calories per day for a year. He lost 270 pounds, but his body shape was still pretty bad for being 200lbs and nearly 6ft.

17. shastaisforwinners

funny how having no appreciable muscle will do that

18. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

he probably had a shit ton of extra skin after that, you cant see muscle definition if yer arm skin could be used for a grocery bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.