lower heart rates & burning more fats?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by comptechgsr, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comptechgsr

comptechgsr New Member

well, i'm 23, and according to the machines, my "Target heart rate" for burning fat is 128.

Whenever i run, etc, my heart rates stays in the cardio level, around 160-170.

I hear that keeping it in fat burning mode, at the target rate, burns more fat calories. Is this true? Cardio mode burns some muscle and less fat?

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

3. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

where are all these low post 02's and 03's comming from :run:

4. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Many gyms have charts listing a “fat burning zone” and a “cardio zone” on their cardiovascular machines. These ranges are confusing because they lead you to believe that you are burning more fat, or only fat, when exercising at certain intensities.

The most important thing to remember is that exercising at a higher intensity is better than exercising at a lower intensity when it comes to burning calories. There is a lower-intensity “fat burning zone” in which you utilize a greater percentage of calories from fat than at higher intensities. However, the total number of calories burned at that rate is less. For example, let’s say you bike at a low intensity and burn 100 calories. Seventy-five of those calories burned might come from fat. At first glance, that looks good. But if you bike at a higher intensity for the same period of time, you might burn 200 total calories, with 125 of those coming from fat. Your percentage of fat calories burned drops, but you burn more total calories and more total fat calories at the higher intensity.

The bottom line: for sustained weight loss, you have to burn more calories than you take in. Trying to focus on burning fat calories won’t help. Calories are calories –the goal is to burn as many as possible.

5. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

So do we recommend low or high bpm cardio for cutting? My cutting endeavor is looming. :wtc:

6. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

GREAT post! seriously, nice!

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

you're in your fat burning zone right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.