lower back strain?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bobsbarricades, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

I don't know what is going on. I did my DL today and something didn't feel exactly right in my lower back - but anytime I get wierd things like that I usually just push through and the problem goes away. (I should mention I do have scroleosis in my lower/mid back and neck)

Today I get to my last two sets of 225 and I can do them without any real discomfort...they actually feel really good. But ya know how when you get a really good workout and you feel that "pumped" soreness that makes it hard to walk or lift a glass of water? Well this one doesn't feel at all like the normal one. Nothing like my normal DL soreness either... If anything it feels like my back muscles died. If I try to bend over or use my lower back muscles to pick something up it feels like they're going to fail.

What is the quickest way to heal this? Does the sleeping on a flat hard surface do anything? I usually sleep on a very soft and mushy memory foam matress. Will the floor help? I know I need to go talk to my chiropractor, but I wanna know from you guys' experience what the heck this is. Soreness, pull, overwork, what?. Thanks

2. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

rest, eat, ice if necessary

3. Memor

Memor Active Member

I had a pretty bad twinge once after DLing, sort of what you described...it hurt the most the day after, so I took 4-5 days off, iced it, stayed put, ate right, and it fixed itself nicely

4. Bobsbarricades

that's what I was figuring. Does the whole 'sleep on the floor' advice really work? Having a hard flat surface under you?

5. TZ

TZ Banned

i have had a sore lower back for 4-5 weeks :wtc:

6. Memor

Memor Active Member

i couldn't really find any kind of comfortable position to sleep in - so not sure on that one

if you have someone that can help massage your lower back that always helps - even if it ends up doing nothing you end up weaseling yourself into a pity massage, hah

7. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I hurt my lower back doing oly squats a few months ago my lower back would curve when I went as deep as possible.

8. Bobsbarricades

That's something that I noticed yesterday (first time with mirror). On the squat, when I get my hips parallell to my knees I'm fine, but past that spot my lower back straightens..and then begins what I can't describe any other way than rounds. But it's only in my tailbone and maybe that first vertebrate

PS - slept on the floor with a heating pad, worked out pretty awesome. Sore as anything this morning, but some tiget balm and stretching should help with the food and rest. Thumbs up for crazy myths about sleepin :)

9. Leaf

Leaf OT Supporter

Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. My back still feels stiff. :wtc:

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I hurt mine doing good mornings and was in pain on and off for a couple months. Finally it went away, and after about 3 days of no pain my dumb ass goes and does DL's with heavy weight. Fucked it up again and its been hurting about 2 weeks now. It is slowly getting better though.

Just stay away from lifts that might cause more strain, eat well, and stretch as often as possible.

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

don't stretch the lower back

12. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Out of curiousity, why is that? I went to physical therapy for a while for some non-lifting related back issues about 5 years ago. They always recommended lower back streches.

13. Bobsbarricades

i feel a large bucket of sarcasm coming from his Ceaze's direction.... am I wrong?

Well after the day has been spent it feels a lot better. I can sort of support my upper body now. I don't have to push off my quads with my hands to get off the toilet :bigthumb: Progress like this I should be good by sunday - I think I'll stay off the heavy DL for 2 more weeks to make sure. Stay under 160 after pain goes away

14. Ceaze

yes you're wrong

15. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I think he says not to stretch it because having your lower back inflexible actually helps you when you need to keep your lower back from bending doing heavy deadlifts etc.

16. Ceaze

You want stability around the lumbar spine and mobility at the hips

[​IMG]

17. Bobsbarricades

o...hey that's makes a lot of sense. So you're saying I should concentrate on not stretching my lower back, but focusing on all my movements originating in the hips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.