Lower back problems

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ZCP M3, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Broly crew,
    I've had posture & lower back pain for as long as I can remember. It's becoming a problem now that I'm working out during my abs routine. When I'm doing heels to the heavens (lie on back, straight legs up, using abs to raise your ass off the ground) I get this sharp pain in my lower back which makes it hard to continue.

Any ideas how to alleviate this pain? Is there just a tight muscle back there I need to stretch out and work?

2. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

start stretching your legs/lower back...unless it's spinal.

3. immortal

immortal Chrome Rim Expert

dont know if it will work for you, but when i crashed my motorcycle a long time ago i landed on my back. my lower back was fucked up for a good 8-9 months and i didnt think the pain was going to go away. i even recall having some muscle spasms.

anyways, after i started doing deadlifts and other freeweight heavy weight low rep workouts targeting my lower back - all my pain and discomfort seemed to go away. i still believe had i not worked out my back in that manner, i'd still have pain from the crash.

4. no come down

no come down ..... and in this place you'll see me OT Supporter

ive had lower back pain now for this past year. these past two weeks though, first thing in morning, last thing at night and at the gym right after ive done some warm up squats, i stretch, starting from my neck up, and i drop down and stretch my lowerback. youtube neck / lowerback stretches, see which ones you feel the pull on, and try do them morning and night

i had no joy with deadlifting, moderately light weights, form feeling 90% perfect. although ive not tried them recently, since ive been doing these stretches.

peace

5. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Interesting. Guess it's time to add some lower-back exercises to the routine. Low rep high weight to build the muscle up rather than high rep low weight to stretch it out?

6. tantrum

tantrum New Member

Start with stretching, and if that doesn't help, go to heavy low-rep sets. Stretching has a much smaller chance of exacerbating your injury, while the heavy lifting has the potential to make your pain worse.

7. no come down

no come down ..... and in this place you'll see me OT Supporter

this

8. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

I had the same deal during school when i'd be sitting all day, my lower back would just hurt like crazy. I began doing a series of lower back stretches, the result was nothing. However later i started doing deadlifts and only once has my lower back felt really sore since then.

9. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

what stretches were you doing that helped?

10. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

go do a doctor and get xrays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.