Lower back popped when deadlifting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by NCK MIZ, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

Today I was deadlifting and as I pulled up the weight it felt like someone punched me right on my tailbone and it popped. I was able to finish the lift, but the left side of my lower back felt strained. I did some light t-bar rows and it didnt feel to bad and then I did a few lat pulldowns, no significant pain while doing those. But when I twist I feel the pain. It is not terribly intense just uncomfortable. I decided to go home and ice it as well as take a hydrocodone. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before. I will probably try to go back to the gym tonight to finish up my workout, just go lighter. Anyone had a similar thing happen?

2. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Done it several times, sounds like you pulled something.

Working around it isnt a problem just be careful picking shit up and of course any heavy pulling is out for a while.

3. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

thanks bro, yeah I figured if it was really serious I wouldn't be able to move or unload the bar. Just looking to see if anyone else had experienced something similar, I also would not have been able to continue my workout.

4. TZ

TZ Banned

happened to me a bunch of times without the popping - just extreme sharp pain in the middle of the lift which would last for a few days, or longer depending how bad it was

i would just avoid exercises that put pressure on the low back until i felt ok again

5. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

thanks bud, Yeah I was thinking, no squats this week, no deads next week, and possible no squats again next week, hopefully it feels better in a couple days though, I really want to do some heavy ass squats on Thursday.

6. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Be careful, I strained my lower back last November and could barely walk for 2 days ending up deadlifting again in Febuary. Be smart

7. TZ

TZ Banned

what i found has helped me prevent these sorts of things a lot is doing dynamic warmup exercises that target the low back area. so now generally on lower body days i will walk on the treadmill a bit, do some squats and good mornings with the bar, cat/camels, birddogs, glute bridges , etc. also on days off, i will stretch my hip flexors

i haven't hurt my back since i started doing these things, before i used to get hurt all the time while deadlifting, and it made me afraid to even attempt the lift

8. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

oh I'm not gonna risk hurting it worse, I am just hopeful it will feel better Thursday.., what I think actually did it was the fact that I never dead with a belt and decided to today, while going for a PR. The belt takes pressure off of the obliques which I probably use more than I should and puts more direct pressure on the lower back where it should be. I shouldn't have tried to go so high my first time using a belt in a couple years.

9. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

your training for a show, why are you training heavy enough to injure yourself? How much weight and rep scheme are you doing?

10. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

I usually pick one lift for everybodypart and go heavier, Dead is the only one I actually go really heavy on. Every other bodypart I stay in the 6-12 rep range. I am trying to get my deadlift up to really bring out my traps and thicken up my lower back.

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I once pulled my hamstring pulling 135 because I didn't warmup properly. I still managed to pull 585x3 that workout because I'm stubborn and really fucking dumb sometimes.

Take it easy bro, like Pur said there is no point in going super heavy when getting ready for a BB show.

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I've done this also.

Don't be stupid and try to push through it like I did... You'll just end up injuring it even worse.

Take a couple days off from the gym and chill out. Then avoid any exercises that might put strain on it for at least a week.

13. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Guys, I think he's full of shit.. we're moving to a new place on Friday and I think he just wants an excuse to not move furniture and boxes.

:fawk:

14. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

A 1994 study in the New England Journal of Medicine sent MRIs of 98 "healthy" backs to various doctors, and asked them to diagnose them. The doctors were not told that the patients felt fine and had no history of back pain.

80% of the MRI interpretations came back with disc herniations and bulges. In 38% of the patients, there was involvement of more than one disc.

It’s estimated that 85% of lower back pain patients don’t get a precise diagnosis.

Roughly 1/3 of all athletes have disc bulges that go completely undiagnosed.

It’s estimated that 4.4% of six-year olds have spondylolysis (lumbar fracture(s)).

Presence of spondylolyis is estimated at 15-63% in ordinary athletes (highest is among weightlifters) – yet only 50-60% of those diagnosed under imaging actually report lower back pain.

15. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

dawt. hurt my back deadlifting then tried to do squats when it was starting to feel better. initial pain on squats and i tried to push through it. made it through the sets but ended up buggering my back up even worse. just rest until its better.

16. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

how'd you know, I thought it was a perfect cover up.

Update, still uncomfortable today, but it actually feels a little better and not worse, which is a good sign, I will be doing extremely light weight for the rest of the week and will probably skip legs all together so as to not put unneeded stress on it.

17. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

my boss is trying to make me work on Friday.. lol

18. NCK MIZ

NCK MIZ New Member

tell him to screw off, jk, tell him you can work at about 2-3 PM, we should be done by then, it's not like we have tons of shit to move.

19. blueNcream

blueNcream win OT Supporter

Was it anything like a slipped disc? I'd proceed with caution if it involves my spine.

20. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

spines are for pansies..
    ANIMAL

21. blueNcream

blueNcream win OT Supporter

:wtc: wha whaat? broly!!

lol "The Animal" - remember that? I've always wanted that RC car :bowrofl:

22. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, I initially hurt mine on either inverted situps or good mornings and it bothered me for a bit. I just pushed through the pain and when it started feeling a bit better I tried to squat. I was only my last rep of squats when I heard an awful noise and experiences some incredibly horrible pain.
    I stayed in my bad for nearly 2 weeks and although it feels mostly better, I am still not 100% over a year later :wtc:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.