Lower back injuries are the suck.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by brolli, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

So if you all don't know, I injured my lower back severely about a week ago. The doc said it was strained and said it would recover in time... and this morning I check my mail only to find a 200$+ hospital bill! WTF does my insurance not cover that? They only accept calls during the day so I have to wait till the morning, but shit I am pissed about this.

2. prech

prech New Member

How did you injure it? Any estimates from the doc of time for recovery? Are you going to need phyiscal therapy/cortisone?

3. pandemonium

pandemonium New Member

i threw out my back the day before moving out of my apt..
    that sucked major bawls

yes it will take a month to heal fully.. just don't go crazy with sports for about a month
    i played ball for 4 hours 2 weeks after i injured it, and that totally aggravated it to the point that it hurt to sit down again

did you see a chiropractor? maybe that's why the ins co doesn't cover it

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

don't know how i originally injured it (probably weight lifting) but it was minor. I went to the hospital to get it checked out just in case, and took some time off. last week I had a jiu jitsu tournament which is the first time after the injury I tried to grapple. In the middle of my match my lower back just completely gave out and for the rest of the day I couldn't even get up from a chair by myself. (I also went to the hospital that day). The doctors were all vague as shit about how long it would take to recover, but I am guessing something like... another month from today or so.

The hospital bill seems pretty ridiculous as they didn't really do much except for check my back and give me motrin (1 days supply for that matter).

The pain in my lower back is not nearly as severe as it was a week ago, but a new problem arose: The muscle in the lowerback is connected to something near the crotch/upper thigh and I get a painful stretching feeling near my groin whenever I sit down or lie down. Even the pain killers haven't helped for this!

As for physical therapy I think that it would help tremendously, but I don't know exactly where to go for that right now since it is the summer and I am still on campus.

5. pandemonium

pandemonium New Member

my dad is a dr, and when i injured my lower back, he just told me to rest, rest and rest again. if it's painful, take tylenol and apply ice hot cream to it

that sucks that you got stuck with the bill though.. did you ask ur ins co why they aren't willing to pay for it?

that pain you are describing on ur upper thigh and crotch def doesn't sound normal..
    well at least to me, since i never felt that when injuring my lower back
    maybe you should get it checked out again? or do it after you call ur ins co bishes?

6. pandemonium

pandemonium New Member

oh yeah try and lie down on a flat surface when it hurts, to straighten out ur back

7. pandemonium

pandemonium New Member

oops i didn't mean tylenol, but advil cuz it has ibuprofen (sp?)

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

im on motrin 800 mg every 8 hours, and a muscle relaxant. The upper thigh/crotch thing is bothering the crap out of me.

9. Mojo

Mojo New Member

damn, that sucks. get well soon.

sucks not deadlifting heh. try some bengay?

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I used icy hot patches on my back for the first few days when it was really bad. Thanks though.

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

call up your insurance company before paying the bill. sometimes hospitals bill both of you

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I actually just called 10 min ago. The woman at the hosptial said that they sent the balance bill to me because they didnt' have the first 3 letters of some security code on my insurance card...

I GAVE THE FUCKING CARD TO THE WOMAN WHEN I ORIGINALLY WENT TO THE HOSPITAL!!! and the letters were smack in the middle of the card.

13. armond

armond New Member

As someone said, call your insurance company. Also call the hospital for clarification.

14. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I wonder if you have a slight Hernia......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.