Low Testosterone Levels....What do I do?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by fudgetracks, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fudgetracks

fudgetracks Tell Sanchito that if he knows what is good for hi

So last month I went in for my physical and got my blood work done. Everything seemed to look normal but my test level was @ 261 (normal: 280-800 ng/dL) so the doc had me come back and tested my test and also LH, FSH, and there was a fourth one but I can't recall what it was exactly (prolactin something). So I went in last Friday and this time my test level was at 328, which is within the normal range.

So I emailed my Dr. about it, and he said that my test level was low-normal, but would not recommend medical therapy (which is fine) and went on to say that excess testosterone is a risk factor for prostate cancer. He suggested I try OTC men's health products.

How concerned should I be with my test levels? Is there anything I can do to help my test levels?

cliffs: I think my test is low. What do I do?

ibnotreadingallthatshit

edit: stats
    male,6' 1", 210lbs

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

how old are you? what is your bf%?

if your 21 with a level of 328 you essentially have the levels of a 40yr old man and that is no way to spend your 20's.

I'd request a referel to an endocrinologist and if he won't give you one find another doctor.

3. fudgetracks

I'm 22 (19% bf:o), I told him I though my test levels were too low for someone my age and that I had some libido issues:o. Then he said he could refer me to a urologist. I'll see if he could refer me to an endo.

4. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

remember that not all doctors have the same philosophy...I would optimally like to find a doctor who is also a gym rat so he understands your situation

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

well your bf% is affecting your hormone levels...

Basically being fat causes you to have more estrogen and estrgen is created by converting test so you have less test floating around.

I'd look around for either a Urologist/Endo who has treated this before. Like 4cd-Air said someone who is a gym rat or at least somewhat active would be better.

6. fudgetracks

I knew my bf% would have an effect, but could it bring me down that low?

7. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

No real way of knowing the cause and effect. All you can do is try to lose the weight and see what happens. Even if it doesn't bring your test levels up, you'll look better and feel better which will still help with your mood/energy etc.

8. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

<----- 335 ng/dL :wtc:

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:wtc:

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

stfu and get on some HRT you're old enough to justify it...

11. fudgetracks

:sadwavey:

Have you had any issues because of it?

12. fudgetracks

I guess it wouldn't hurt to go see the urologist/endocrinologist and see what they think.

13. jmezz

I'm actually not sure what my levels are anymore, when I tested 335 that was back in late 2006 I think.

Back at that time I had some libido issues and just all around fatigue. I still feel tired every now and then and I notice that I can't function like how I used to if I don't get good sleep. I used to be able to work to full potential off 2-3 hours of sleep but now it's a lot worse, but I guess that could just be from me getting older. :dunno:

14. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

resveratrol

15. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i did rez v, alpha male, and zma from biotest http://www.t-nation.com/ and in a couple months my test levels went from 313 to 445 , not high, but a huge % increase,

16. Da5id

Da5id New Member

17. jmezz

Did you feel any different?

18. car ramrod

car ramrod I'm all highway

I know ZMA can improve test levels, as well as maintaining a consistent sleep schedule.

19. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i do, but part of it may be just getting more sleep, i think i will make zma a regular supplement, its cheap and it really does give you some crazy dreams sometimes, or maybe thats just because i sleep better, hell i dont know, something worked though

20. car ramrod

car ramrod I'm all highway

Reading an old M&F mag - it says getting lean, lifestyle factors (mood, recovery, sleep patterns), ZMA and abstaining from alcohol are all highly effective. Interestingly, getting too many omega-6 fatty acids might lower it, while acetyl-L-carnitine might help raise it too.

21. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

per my doctors, testosterone replacement therapy does not increase the likelihood of prostate cancer. it increases the likelihood of faster growth and metastasis of prostate cancer if it does develop. i read a study that corroborates that statement.

that being said. i'm 24 with normal levels of everything but test. i had a total test of 192 about 6-7 months ago. my total test last month was 383. my endocrinologist wants to get three more monthly samples for fear of inducing hypogonadia if i'm "normal". :ugh: personally, i think the 383 is my "high" level and I need replacement.

my personal opinion? it's bullshit. i'm fat, and sure as fuck don't have the libido a 24 year old should.

what can you do to increase your test levels? i read a study that showed that men that worked large muscle groups in their legs produced more test as a result. (start squatting some weight). some supplements will increase your test levels but i honestly know nothing about them.

as far as your 328 being normal. fuck.that.shit. i've read anywhere from 280-400 as the minimum normal low but that number does NOT discriminate for age. meaning that if you're 65 and 328 or 21 and 328 they say you're "normal" fuck them. if your libido and energy are shit and you've got numbers that low, something is wrong.

i've said fuck a lot. can you tell i'm frustrated? :o

22. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I watched a video called "In Poverty and In Wealth" recently that showed the differences in health between people in a city from various socioeconomic groups. One of the largest factors in why people die so much younger in the ghetto and are disabled or unhleathy at a younger age is because of stress.

Make sure you aren't chronically stressed out cause that will fuck you up.

23. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I feel ya. Best solution really is to find a more open-minded doctor.

Reference ranges are meant to incorporate 95% of a normal, healthy population. So that means 1 in every 20 people will be outside of the range but it is still normal for them. And it works the other way too - just because you're inside the reference range doesn't mean that it's right for you.

There's a saying "Treat the patient, not the test results" so if you are FEELING the symptoms of low testosterone, then you should be treated for them, even though the test results are normal.

Have you tried any over-the-counter test boosters? There are a few out there that do work

24. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I may be wrong, and I am no doctor but I think low test levels lead to prostate problems as well.

25. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

Just think if you were in the higher normal range for your age how much more you would progress.

Working out with low(er) test is like trying to run in the mud. You'll eventually see progress but it takes 4 to 5 times longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.