Low priced Denon ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CNR, Aug 20, 2002.

1. CNR

CNR I come bearing Triominos!

I want to buy a receiver and want to spend less than $300...
    Will the low priced Denon receivers be a good choice, or at that price is it just paying more for a name?

I guess my question is... will a denon reciever at that price be any better than, say, a kenwood or pioneer?

2. 04

04 Guest

It depends. The Denon may have more features than the Kenwood or Pioneer. Or it might have more power output, or better reliability, or warranty. Then again, the kenwood or pioneer might have what you are looking for for cheaper... I don't own a Denon, so I cannot comment if you are getting your money's worth at the lower price points.

What exactly do you need the receiver to do? I assume you at least watch movies. What about music? Do you like DSP sound modes like concert, hall, theater, etc?

3. CNR

I want to hook it up to my dvd player, right now I only have tv speakers for sound...
    also for music... cds, radio, and probably hook it up to my computer (for mp3s).
    I don't really use DSP so that doesn't matter... and the ones I looked at had enough imputs (digital and analog) to cover what I would use it for. The kenwood and denon were both rated at 100 watts but I don't know what each actually puts out.

I guess really I was just wondering about quality and actual power ratings.

4. 04

04 Guest

Well I have no idea on build quality for either. Same with the actuall power ratings. Typically the more expensive brand names will put out closer to their rated power, but as always, thats just a rule of thumb. In any case, I doubt the power output of the cheaper ones would be more than half as much as the Denon. It really wouldnt matter unless you like listening loud. If they cost the same amount or pretty close, I would say go with the Denon.

5. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

denon makes excellent products just go look at them and compare the features

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I have a denon 2802, and i love it.
    Denon is a good quality brand. About the only differnce in their lower end units, and their higher end units is their power supply type, and the quality of the wiring used inside, and small things like the heat sink material etc. (i.e. using folded aluminum rather then a foged aluminium heat sink).
    Other then that, the IC chips, and decoder chips are the same throughout all of their models.
    I just went and bought a 1602 with a friend of mine the other day, and ill be damned if it doesnt tonally sound the same as my 2802. It doesnt go as loud, but its a smaller reciever. I also formally owned an 1801, and its continuing duty with my PC.

I find Denons build quality, even on its lesser units, to be on par with some Sony ES products, and Pioneer Elite products. And i think they sound better, alot smoother and warmer in their amplifiers. Unlike Sony and Pioneer which happen to be a little harsh, or Yamaha and Merants which have a tendancy to sound a bit bright.

Im sure that if you went for the 1602, or the 1802, or if you find a good deal on an 1801, or 1601, you wont be disappointed. :bigthumb:

And as lound system said, go compare equally priced Sony, Denon, JVC, Pioneer, and Kenwood amplifiers. You will find that the Denons walk all over them with ease, in sound quality, and smoothness. Some of the others may go louder (particularlly the SOny and Pioneer), but they will loose alot fo the clarity the Dennon has doing it.

Good luck on your purchase.

7. CNR

:cool: I'll check those out :bigthumb:
    probably go with the 1602 unless I can find a decent 1802 on ebay or something...

8. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I don't know if they have a Good Guys there in Texas but this weekend Im pretty sure they were selling the 1802 for around 350 or so.

9. CNR

:dunno: I haven't heard of it but I'll have to check it out

10. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

I've got a Denon System 6.5 Hi-Fi, and you do really get what you pay for in terms of quality.

In terms of Recievers, Denons always do well in Magazine tests that I've read.

Other alternative is Yamaha, they get excellent write-ups as well.