Low metabolism problems

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KGB ate my bread, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

Made this thread a while back in the main forum, but was kinda meh with the responses I've gotten.

About 3-4 months ago I had mono. I got a cortizone shot that has seriously fucked up my metabolism. It's pretty bad to the point where I sleep about 9 hours a day if I let myself, and remain tired still.

I work out daily, be it running, playing soccer, working out with a medicine ball, or just doing crap like push ups. I'm noticiing though, that as much as i've been doing this, it has not helped me to increase my metabolism.

If anything, i've just grown more tired the past few months.

I'm wondering what, if anything, I can take that would help me increase my metabolism. I want to consider some of the over the counter crap that I see adverstised on TV, but that claims to be more of a weightloss supplement than anything, and that's not too appealing to me. Granted, I need to lose 10lbs for me to be really satisfied, but that's not what has me sold on something like Hy-droxy cut or whatever.

So F&N, what are some things to get my metabolism up? I'm working out and exercising, but that's only wearing me out. Any supplements like 5-HTP, or SAM-E, or whatever that'd help to increase my metabolism? Would some of the over the counter stuff help me get some metabolism/energy going for me?

THanks in advance for the help.

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

have you been tested for thyroid issues?
    is there any family history with thyroid problems?
    any hair loss or other symptoms of thyroid issues?

if not what's your diet look like?
    have you tracked your caloric intake on fit day or anything?

3. KGB ate my bread

I've been watching calories and portions and what not. No thyroid problems with the family. I've always been fit till I quit my last job and took on a beer gut.

On a good day, I try not to drink more than 5 non-water drinks. I'll drink soy milk, small amount of orange juice, some apple juice, and V8 fusion to get all the good stuff that offers, and diet lipton green tea which is the only diuretic in my diet.

My food is portioned pretty right. I eat about 3oz portions of meat, eat little snack food, which if I do, consists of bananas, peanut butter, peanuts, or the occasional granola bar. I don't eat out ever, most meals are cooked by either me or someone else in the family.

I watch calories, but haven't counted. I seroiusly doubt I'm over 3,000 calories a day.

I just don't have energy anymore. I mean shit, I needa fucking paint my house, and how tired I get while painting is slowing me down.

4. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

is there a particular time of the day that you feel sluggish?

And about the 3000 calories a day -- If you track for a week you'd very very surprised how many calories you eat. Where I thought I was eating 2200 for a while, I was at around 3400. Some foods just shock you. Either way I don't believe the amount of calories is the issue.

I don't mean to delve into your personal life, but how's your money situation? Girl situation? Family? You don't have to answer it -- just think about it.

For a couple months I was a lazy shit but didn't know why. Diet was good, grades were good, money was fine, and I exercised throughout the week.

When I met a new girl my energy skyrocketed. I'm single now by my choice, and am still doing great. However, our unconscious really tries to send us signals to change something but our conscious has a tough time interpreting the meaning.

Maybe it's not a physical thing. I'm studying to become NLP certified and the more I learn the more I realize the greatest remedy for many physical problems is something mental.

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It's not a metabolism problem. Go see a doctor about lack of motivation, lack of energy and describe how you feel. I dunno what "metabolism" is for you but it's clearly not what you think it is.

6. KGB ate my bread

Biology, Physiology. the sum of the physical and chemical processes in an organism by which its material substance is produced, maintained, and destroyed, and by which energy is made available.

I lack a lot of energy. I get tired early at night when out with friends, I'm tired all the time. I'm not here to argue, and I know I have motivation issues. HOwever, daily, I'm making strides in getting off my ass and focusing on things I need to do. I just feel tired sooo damn much. I'd consider energy drinks, but they're loaded full of shit I Don't need to be drinking.

Blackice72, I'll start counting calories tomorrow, and do a daily avg to see what I really am eating. I don't think it's a lifestyle issue or something, but I guess it's possible. I have my hobbies and do well to stay interested ni them and have my fun.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I sleep 9 hours a night and I'm usually tired. Some people need more sleep than others. Especially if you're an active individual.

8. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Use fitday to track your calories . Also if its mental take a vacation if you have it available. I have been eating healthy and working out to get back into shape. I keep a journal and most days I feel awesome....the last two weeks I have needed a nap almost evryday because I have been SOOOOO drained like you stated. For me it was all mental...I had a buddy flying in , Im trying to by a house, my wife just went back to work , etc,etc.... I just had a lot of shit going on that was dragging me down.

Take some vitamins if your not getting enough b-6, b-12, etc and stop playing MTG it mentally is killing you :rofl: j/k

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

This is not the same kind of energy :
    We're not talking about chemical reactions here, we're talking about a mental and physical state. I'm just pointing this because if you're looking at the wrong place, you'll get the wrong solutions. You should see a doctor, talk to him, get your bloodwork done and see what's up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.