Low level formatted hard drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I've just bought a 2nd hand hard drive which has been low level formatted.

Will I be able to use it straight away or will it need some sort of preperation before it can be used as a master drive.

Thanks very much!

:bowdown:

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

If you are planning to use it for windows, the setup will have a format option that you should use before you put the OS on it. I always pass on the quick format option, in favor of the longer time. I have no proof that it makes for a "cleaner" hard drive, but I figured for the small amount of extra time, it can't really hurt to format it.

3. Sinusoid

Sinusoid OT Supporter

Quick format works just as well as a full format.

4. peerk

peerk New Member

Here is what MS says about Quick VS long format for a XP install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302686

But I use quick format because I'm impatient and I haven't had any problems.

And here is some info on using disk management in XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000

5. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I always thought a low level format was different from a quick or even full format or zero write. Something about low level formatting being what the manufacturer does to the hard drive before they do a standard format and put it in the box.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No it doesn't. Quick format usually just erases the partition table and file table. There are rare occasions (in my experience) when a quick-formatted drive can corrupt your new data as a result of the magnetic material not being re-recorded strongly enough when you put files on it. A full format actually goes and replaces each bit on the drive with a zero.

Sensitive equipment can still read the shadows of the old data in most cases, because a logical zero can be anything between 0 and .4999999999, with the .4999999999 being a bit that was formerly a proper 1. Unless you're trying to hide nuclear secrets from foreign governments, though, that's not really an issue for Joe User.