low disk space problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by noxxs, Jan 16, 2006.

1. noxxs

noxxs New Member

when i first got my computer, the hd came partitioned into two pieces, one with 15gb, and the other with 105gb. the 15gb was labeled c drive and is where windows runs from. what is a bitch is that every single program defaults to install to c:, and the temp internet folder is there, and pretty much every program i have has ties to this drive.

now that i'm about 3 years into having this computer i have about 190megs left, and thats after alot of trimming and constantly clearing temp files. i had it up to a gig at one point but it was gone in a matter of weeks. i have plenty of space, about 50gigs left on the other partition, and another 250 left on another HD. is there anything i can do to clear up some space or move programs without having to uninstall/reinstall and keep programs from installing to the boot drive?

2. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Most programs let you choose where you want to install the proggy. :dunno:

3. noxxs

noxxs New Member

yeah, thats true, i wasnt worried about it at first, and still some dont, like alot of the small programs dont. little apps that you download, auto download to the temp file and open and install automatically to c:\program files. but still, this isnt the point, the point is i have almost no space and i need to make some, is there anyway to easily do this?

4. opalfrost98gt

opalfrost98gt OT Supporter

5. kYd

kYd New Member

I wouldn't risk it. Reszing a parition is risky if you don't want to lose all the data on that parition, and symantec partion magic is one of the best to do it.

If it was me I'd just completley format the drive. You've gone 3 years without formatting which can slow down your computer and make it "boggy" becuase of all the programs you've downloaded, installed and uninstalled.
    I format twice a year just too keep things running smoothly

6. noxxs

noxxs New Member

no shit? that seems like alot of work. the computer runs fine, its just i'm running out of space on a stupidly sized partition. i'm looking to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling because thats alot of redownloading, and honestly i dont think this computer came with a windows install cd. pretty shitty huh?

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Tell it to Microsoft.

8. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i used the partition magic program, i now have an extra 11gigs on my c: drive, i'll just have to be more careful managing it from here on out. thanks alot for the heads up. :bigthumb: