Low-carb diets 'damage arteries'

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8218780.stm

Low-carb diets 'damage arteries'

[​IMG]
    Low-carb dieters base meals on meat dishes

Low-carb slimming diets may clog arteries and increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes, a study suggests. Diets based on eating lots of meat, fish and cheese, while restricting carbohydrates have grown in popularity in recent years.

But the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in the US found such habits caused artery damage in tests on mice.

The researchers and independent experts both agreed a balanced diet was the best option.

Low-carb diets have attracted a lot of attention and controversy after a surge in interest in them in the 1990s.

[​IMG][​IMG] It appears that a moderate and balanced diet, coupled with regular exercise, is probably best for most people [​IMG]Anthony Rosenzweig, lead researcher

The researchers at the Beth Israel institute, which is part of Harvard Medical School, decided to investigate their impact on the cardiovascular system after hearing of reports of people on the diets suffering heart attacks.

They fed the mice three different diets - a standard mouse type, a western diet which was high in fat, and a low-carb, high-protein version, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reported.

The low-carb diet did not affect cholesterol levels, but there was a significant difference on the impact on atherosclerosis - the build-up of fatty plaque deposits in the arteries that can lead to heart attacks or strokes.

After 12 weeks, the mice eating the low-carb diet had gained less weight, but developed 15% more atherosclerosis than those on the standard mice food. For the western diet group there was 9% more atherosclerosis.

The team could not be certain why the effect was seen, but thought low-carb diets may affect the way bone marrow cells effectively clean arteries of fatty deposits.

Adverse effects
    Lead researcher Anthony Rosenzweig said the findings were so concerning to him that he decided to come off the low-carb diet he was following.
    He added: "Our research suggests that, at least in animals, these diets could be having adverse cardiovascular effects.

"It appears that a moderate and balanced diet, coupled with regular exercise, is probably best for most people."

Joanne Murphy, from the Stroke Association, agreed following a balanced diet was the best advice.

"We know that foods such as red meat and dairy products, which are high in protein, also contain high levels of saturated fat. These fats then cause the build up in the arteries."

But she added the research was still at an early stage and she wanted to see more work done on the subject.

Ellen Mason, from the British Heart Foundation, said it was difficult to apply the findings to humans.

But she added: "Low-carb, high-protein diets are not considered as healthy as eating a balanced diet, which is good for health because we get the different nutrients our body needs by eating from the different food groups every day."

Professor Alan Maryon-Davis, president, UK Faculty of Public Health, said: "This research helps to back up the basic message that our diet should contain more starchy carbohydrate, not less.

"For long-term health at least one-third of what we eat should be bread, rice, potatoes, pasta or other starchy food."

:dunno:

2. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Nice.

3. Biddy

Biddy I Bleed Aqua and Orange...

I am on a low carb diet, and I certainly do fear that it isn't the best way to lose weight.

BUT

It has to be healthier than carrying around all that extra weight, and I got about 29 more pounds to go before I start adding in real carbs (already eat veggies) and then I can eat normal ...normal being healthy and from the food groups, not what my old definition of normal was

I'm only 31, so I'm hoping that IF I am doing any damage, it will go away over time and maintaining healthy exercise and diet

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl: Av

5. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Low carb high fat only works for active people like us.
    Humans > mice. :o

6. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

creatine will kill your kidneys

7. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Because mice and humans have the same dietary requirements....

8. Buzz Killington

No shit, I fucking forgot that I was not a mouse. FUCK this study.

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

in tests on mice.

It's nothing but a clue, I'm sure i'll hear someone quoting this as fact.

10. Balddog

Balddog eek3

15% more than what? they dont tell us how much :noes:

and as someone with severe atherosclerosis, i say fuck them in their stupid asses...obesity does way more damamge :wtc:

11. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Think of all the weight loss when you are dead. :big grin:

12. Ish

Ish New Member

15% more than mice that ate standard food.

13. Balddog

Balddog eek3

yes but im curious about that number...

14. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

eat healthy as possible, increase physical activity, disregard this article and eat carbs sparingly..

15. Buzz Killington

16. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Sure but carbs are not the cause of obesity whatsoever.

17. Balddog

Balddog eek3

No of course not :dunno: but an awful lot of people doing low carb diets these days are the overweight. Articles like this may well scare them into thinking the low carb diet will damage them more than the obesity itself.

18. planeh

planeh Guest

Well I found in a test I did on ants that they were able to carry 20-50 times its body weight. Considering this, I wasn't able to lift 4500lbs over my head.

19. convolutedmind

convolutedmind Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss e

Need metrics!

What kind of meat/fish were the mice eating?

Good meat like chicken shouldn't increase fat deposits...

How low were the carbs? What kind of carbs? Where was the protein coming from?

Ya, me too.

20. xel

xel Active Member

Do you see rats running around slaying fucking deer and shit killing deer and eating them for dinner and shit: no.

they nibble at fucking plants and stuff.

What did our ancestors do? We fucking ran around killing the fuck out of big ass beasts and ate them. fuck yea.

21. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

someone better tell that to the Masai, Inuit and all the other hunter gatherer groups that ate nothing but animal products traditionally.

22. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

that someone could even entertain the notion of our pre-agricultural diet being plant based is mind-boggling to me.

23. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

If you do a low carb diet stupid then it probably isn't good for you. "healthy" low carb crap like low carb reese cups will probably fuck you up. Or thinking that vodka is part of your diet because it is "low carb".

24. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

A Lo-carb diet damages arties while some guy named Gary eats 6 fucking pinks hot dogs for lunch and a pizza for breakfast and maybe 2 cookies for a midday snack. Every day.

Ketosis is my homeboy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  25. xel

xel Active Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

my nigga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.