Low Carb Diets and Conditioning

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MaineSucks, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Fail?

I really do well without carbs in my diet but I'm afraid that pushing the prowler a few times a week while low carbing is going to be detrimental.

Am I thinking too much?

2. Mass

Mass Active Member

you know your body better than anyone else, see what works for you, maybe you'll surprise yourself

3. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

Depends on how long you've been low carbing it and how quickly your body swtiches to fats to burn as fuel.

4. LocTite98

LocTite98 Chillin'

sorry to ask this in your thread Maine, but i dont wanna start a new one..

if i eat about 150 grams of carbs a day, should i eat like 60 carbs during the day, then the remaining 90 pre/post workout?

5. xel

xel Active Member

id put more prepost and the rest for the morning only.

thats just me.

Maybe like 30 grams at breakfast, and the rest pre post. You need a shitton post if you are trying to gain

but again im just a stupid kid who is still making mistakes and learning

6. NUDES

NUDES New Member

The better question is, what are you doing "conditioning" for? Conditioning is typically a termed used to describe an endeavor those in competitive sport are undertaking (eg football, basketball, sprinters, etc). If you are doing it just to lose fat, then does it really matter if you can push the prowler 10 seconds faster than before b/c you're eating less carbs?

In the same sense, carbs aren't going to dictate your fat loss or lackthereof. Don't be confused with water retention and fat. Big diff.

With that said, you won't find an athlete doing "conditioning" for the purposes of athletic improvement that are eating low carbohydrates. I mean I'm sure there are some, just like there's Vegan bodybuilders, but in athletic terms (even strength sports) it's rare to find people who eat low carbs.

7. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

The top level CrossFit athletes usually adhere to the Zone diet which is 40/30/30 carbs/protien/fat. They have found that this diet improves athletic performance while cutting bodyfat. However, there is a point where there isn't enough calories to fuel the body and performance gains and progress die off. At that point, adjusting the diet increase amount of fat they intake (by double, triple, and beyond) fixes that problem.

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I say conditioning because because I'm trying to get my lungs in better shape and lose some fat while doing it. I don't do anything for time with the Prowler, I just like it because its outside and not an elliptical staring at the fat housewife's rolls walking on the treadmill in front of me.

I was thinking about hopping on the NHE or Anabolic Diet again but the pre/postwork out carb thing has me nervous.

I think I'm going to follow the T-Dawg 2 diet guidelines until my meet in November and see what happens.

T-Dawg 2 is 100g's a day on training days, 50g's on off days.

9. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Have you looked at Iron Addict's timed carb diet? IIRC he recommends carbs after each lifting session. I never had much luck sticking to it because I feel like total shit without carbs, but he has a 1/2 timed carb diet in which you can consume carbs for your first meal or two of the day + PWO, and protein/fat the rest of the day.

10. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Maine, have you tried a mix of BCAA's and creatine during your workout? It helps me tremendously when doing complexes. While I have never done the prowler, I would imagine it would put a similar load on your body as a barbell complex would.

11. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

run some EQ or winstrol for the endurance boost :p

12. el es dee

Also what is considered low carb? What are your macros?

13. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Weren't you losing weight fast on your old diet? Was that low carb? I'll have to check your log but i remember you came a long way.

14. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

No. You are not going to burn up muscle if you are in a well fed state sans carbohydrates, it is simply too inefficient. If you have a steady supply of aminos and ketone bodies derived from fatty acids within your blood stream, your body is not going to burn muscle for ketone bodies, as muscle is the last resort.

Maine, I would just see how you do for a couple weeks without consuming carbs post Prowler, read The Anabolic Diet, and profit?

15. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

I would just try it out with no modification. if you start to feel worn down add carbs after the cardio or add another carb up meal or day

16. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Thanks for the input everyone.

That is fairly similar to the T-Dawg 2 diet, thats pretty much what I'm going to be following til my meet in November. Today I had 35g of carbs with breakfast and after lifting/before prowler I had a gatorade. That will be pretty much the bulk of my carbs and everything else will be protein/fat.

El Es Dee... I used to do that, I've just been out of BCAA's for a while

17. el es dee

Well thats easily remedied then :p

18. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

if your goal is conditioning, increased performance etc. then I wouldnt do it fasted

if your goal is fat loss, fasted is fine. imo. your heart and lungs performance will increase and yo'll burn fat too.

as always let the weights and how you feel be your guide. if your feeling fresh and strong great if your feeling run down then adjust accordingly.

19. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I don't find low carbs to have any real effect on my endurance. For me, it cuts down strength across the board by maybe 10-15%, but seems to stay around there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.