low carb diet, raising insulin after workout

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by keeler, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keeler

keeler New Member

I'm currently low carb dieting to lose some excess weight I have put on. On days I don't workout I limit my carbs to 60-70 a day and on workout days I allow 100 carbs, the extra 30 carbs I consume directly after my workout in the form of a sweet beverage(soda, gatorade, etc.) to raise my bloodsugar/insulin levels after a workout to stop protein breakdown in the muscle. Is this a good idea to do while cutting? what does your post workout nutrition look like during a cutting cycle?

2. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

eat more carbs

not that I've ever really cut, but low carb is bullshit unless you're going for an insane bodyfat. Someone like you, who sounds like they a good bit overweight, could just lose it by dropping some calories. maintain a good balance. your body will thank you

3. swenjj

swenjj New Member

im not an expert by any means,but have lost a lot of weight on the low carb diet (136 pounds) but i cant see any time that drinking soda and gatorade would be good for you, so much sugar and other junk, i know that you can take some carbs after a workout to spike insulin and help recovery but i wouldnt use soda to do it, i am trying some Surge from www.t-nation.com , not sure if that will make me gain weight again or not but i feel much better about taking that than i would drinking pop again,

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Surge pretty much contains the same shit that's in most shitty drinks. Want some glucose/dextrose ? Eat up some smarties or some lifesavers. Want some of the protein ? Get some whey, tuna, chicken, etc. No need to pay for that Surge thing.

5. keeler

keeler New Member

i looked up the nutritional info at the t-nation site for the surge
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459244
    it has a whopping 320 calories and 49 carbs, a can of soda has 150 calories and 40 carbs then add a protein shake and essentially you have the same thing. the blood sugar spikes halts protein catabolism and the insulin increase in your blood makes for a perfect time to pop some quick digesting proteins.
    at least this is my understanding of insulin on the body post workout.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  6. keeler

keeler New Member

my thoughts exactly hense the soda (not exactly glucose/dextrose but still raises blood sugar the to levels needed post workout) and a whey protein shake.

7. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

The quality of your foods are very important. What you're using doesn't sound very good and you know it. If you keep allowing these small things, they turn into bigger problems. I do it too sometimes and it totally throws me off the wagon!!!

PWO I
    I take a shake made of whey and dextrose anywhere from the end of my workout to 15 minutes after. This is very cheap.

PWO II
    1.5 hours later i take in a protein/carb meal made from solid foods and the same macro breakdown.

In total i get at least 120carbs from these two PWO meals. It still keeps me in ketosis. read this...
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3398

another article you might want to read
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067&highlight=pre+post+workout+nutrition

8. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Are you honestly recommending the smarties/lifesavers? I don't know that much about diet so I'm genuinely asking.

Could I use the powdered gatorade for dextrose?

9. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Fuck that. I eat low carb even when bulking (probably ~200g on most days). I don't find carbs help me energy wise at all. I truly feel they just make me fatter. My belly will get bigger on 3000 cal/day if I eat 500g of carbs, but it shrinks if I eat 4000 cal/day and keep carbs around 200g. Many people with endomorphic tendencies are the same way.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

No. I think that the whole boner thing on dextrose/glucose is kinda dumb since most of the guys recommanding this are afraid to eat an apple because it contains fructose :ugh: Yet, they suggest glucose or dextrose which is basically what candies are made of.
    Apart from the speed of glycogen replenishment or stomach discomfort for some, the GI of the carb taken PWO doesn't really matter. Oats, rice, candy, it will do the same job, but some of them will have micronutrients while dextrose/malto and so on are devoid of nutrients.

11. keeler

keeler New Member

thanks, first article provided some good info.

12. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I used to mix dextrose/maltodextrin with my ON protein for postworkout drink. You can buy it at health food stores (I got mine at Sun harvest back then). Dextrose is also labelled "corn sugar" i think, that's the regular name.

Now I just drink Biotest Surge.

13. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

If you have a bodytype like mine, just drink an isopure and don't worry about it. Post workout shakes are SOOOOO OVERRATED!!

14. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Modestsizeray? Modestsizejmezz ftw!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.