Low Calorie -- High Exercise

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by StPatty33, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StPatty33

StPatty33 New Member

I just recently started what I believe will be my permanent lifestyle change of diet and exercise, and I was absolutely sure of it's positive outcome until I read some stuff today on a website. I'd like to share my 'plan' and more importantly, ask about the tidbit I read today.
    A lot of people like to take all that they've learned from various diets and put them together and make their own. Not the worst idea in the world, in my opinion, but I think they make it too casual, like "I'll just watch my foods and take a walk at night." etc.

I did essentially the same thing, only I'm keeping a journal of both exercise and calorie intake and making sure I burn a certain number of calories a day. The problem (or question that's arisen) is that I read your metabolism adjusts completely to your eating style. So if my usual BMR (base metabolic rate) is 3000, and I start eating only 1500 calories a day that my BMR will change completely to 1500 so I won't be burning those extra 1500 calories each day.

If this is true that it will adjust just as drastically as your diet change, is it still the same if you're exercising religeously to keep your metabolism up?

I've been using the website caloriesperhour.com to calculate calories burned for my exercise activities on top of my BMR, and subtracting my caloric intake to get a final tally for each day. If I hit my goal calories burned (3,000) then I've come one day closer to my goal weight.

I've been certain this will work, and it has for the 5 or 6 days I've been on it, but this question just came up because my calculations for time it will take to reach my goal weight include my current BMR (for those that may not know, BMR is the number of calories you would burn throughout the day if you just lied in bed and did nothing whatsoever). The certainty of the success of this program has come from the knowledge that it WILL work, because it's all simply number-based and factual. I live each day for that final number, to be able to say I've only got 149 more days of living just like today until I hit my goal weight.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

MY PLAN--It should be noted that I've always done weight training as a hobby, and am fairly intelligent when it comes to diets and muscles etc... I've just never been good about following my own advice. I say this because a 1500 calorie diet and 'religeous exercising' may sound like overdo-ing it, as some people tend to. My 1500 calorie diet consists of foods that are high protein, therefore high mass for the calorie amount. I'm not starving myself at all. A HUGE chicken breast is 200 calories, max. I'm also including all major food groups, eating more protein after workout sessions, not eating within 4 hours of going to bed (especially carbs) etc. My workouts consist of (minimum) 15 minutes of strenuous elliptical machine cardio first thing in the morning to jump start my metabolism (and elevate my heartrate for optimum fat-burning), and strenuous weight lifting within a couple hours of bedtime, to boost my metabolism again (and exhaust myelf) so my body will burn more calories while I sleep (on an empty stomach).

I've been on it for about a week and I feel so much better, I have so much more energy, and my gut is going away already. I'm very excited about this change and as long as nothing breaks my confidence that these factual numbers have given me, I know I can follow through until the end. Thanks for your time, eh!

-Steve

2. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

I'm not sure if you're asking a question or not.
    However, good job, good luck, keep it up

3. StPatty33

StPatty33 New Member

I'm sorry for not clarifying. The quesion is--if I reduce my calories to 1500, will my BMR reduce itself to that level after a few days as well, or will my working out keep my base metabolic rate high enough to where I'll still be burning those extra calories (because my BMR is about 3,000 right now).

4. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

you probably wont be getting enough carbs to fuel your workout

5. jonno

jonno New Member

how much do you weigh?

6. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Won't exercise + low calories over the night lead to your body breaking down muscle for energy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.