low Calorie, and muscle development.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by vudoodoodoo, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

I searched the body build thread but couldn’t find an exact answer to my question.

In terms of muscle growth and development how are calories related?

I thought calories are what your body uses for energy and burns them when doing any work. When not enough calories are present in the body, your body will burn stored fat.

Obviously more calories going out than into the body will result in fat loss.

However will not enough calories result in the body burning muscle as well?

I am not taking any significant amount of calories but I am eating close to my weight in protein, and I am taking a multi vitamin and eating healthy lots of veggies.

I am 5'11 and weigh 205 pounds, I have been working out for about 5 months and do see a vast improvement. I am focusing on losing excess weight hence I am not bothering with calories as much. But if I am hurting my muscle development I would gladly increase my caloric intake.

2. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Too low calories, muscles CAN'T develop.

3. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Do 12 * LBM to find your cutting caloric intake, and adjust from there. Some say 12 * your weight. :dunno:

4. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

basically your body need calories, protien, amino acids, and carbs to build muscle. the more you have in surplus of everything, the faster you can gain muscle (bulking) if you are short on one of those 4 things you'll either grow slower, not at all, or go catabolic and lose muscle even if you're weight training. building muscle and losing fat at the same time is hard, and only gets harder the better shape you're in. if you're a fatass, go ahead and cut while working out, you'll make progress on both fronts.

you really have two choices that work effectively, lose fat while losing muscle (while try to keep this to a minimum) or get bigger at the same time getting fatter by eating more. take your pick.

5. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

Hm, do you know what maintenance/growth it? I think bw x 15 is either maintenance or growth...not sure. Also, is there one you do to see growth with minimum fat gain, or in other words, growth while keeping the same bf or another one for growth with increase bf?

6. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

this isn't an exact science, the numbers are just guidelines to start with. 10 - 12x bw to lose weight, 13 - 15x to maintain, 16 - 20x + to gain should be good enough for most people.

7. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

for the 16-20x, would, say, 16-17 be gain slower but with less bodyfat as well, and 18-20 would be to gain faster but with more bodyfat, something around there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.