Low back was sore immediately after deadlifts today

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thebeave, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeave

thebeave New Member

... but the soreness went away after ~10 minutes.

Last week I set a new PR of 375 which came up fairly easily so this week I was going to go for 385, but counted wrong and ended up doing 395 :wiggle:

I never try for PRs in consecutive weeks but I was really just feeling it today and it turned out well.

135x8
    225x8
    295x5
    345x3
    395x1

Does this ever happen to anyone else? I pretty regularly get stiffness or *mild* discomfort in my lower back after deadlifts but this was more of a soreness, but it went away fairly quickly.

2. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

You're pulling ~400 and can't figure out why your lower back is sore after DLing?

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

400 isn't that much. It's not like he's been DLing for 5 years and has experienced everything to do with weight training.

4. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

It was more than likely just a bad pump. I get those too on DL day, especially if I do any type of back raise after deadlifting.

5. thebeave

thebeave New Member

It has never been this type of soreness in the past... it has just been tight or fatigued in the past, this was actually uncomfortable :hs:

6. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Well it could be your form, do you feel like you are rounding your back? take a vid of yourself doing some deads and keep an eye on your back and see how much you are pulling with your back also ie: not much leg juice

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've gotten this before... also when I first started, I remember one time my lower back got really super tingley right after DLing.. that couldn't have been good :o

It's probably just pumps... foam roll it.

8. thebeave

thebeave New Member

My form is always something that I've questioned.

Since I started working out my primary education comes from reading articles or browsing internet forums, I have had very minimal communication in person. I've been a casual lifter on and off for a few years now and haven't lifted consistently for more than 6 months at a time due to various injuries or just being too busy (I know you can always *make* time but at various points in my lift I just don't feel like lifting after work and school).

I've always noticed slight rounding in my back on weights in which I cannot lift more than 5 reps. I have always tried to keep the weight as close to my shins as possible and make sure that my shoulders and hips are raising simultaneously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.