Louder FAN in MINI after RAM upgrade?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Idyfohu, May 1, 2007.

1. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I just installed 2GB of RAM in my Mac Mini (Intel 1.66) and the RAM shows fine and the computer is great, however my fan seems much louder and spools up more often now...I think.

I didn't notice it before and I think I would've...anyone have experience with this?

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

more RAM does mean more heat produced in a very small enclosure :dunno: I don't know the specifics but it doesn't seem implausible that the fan would have to work a bit harder with a second stick in place... a second RAM stick might also further disrupt airflow in the mini, too.

3. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

It actually came with (2) 256 chips to begin with, so having (2) physical chips shouldn't make a difference.

Hm...

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i found the same in my macbook. when i went from 512 to 1 gig.. it ran hotter, and the fan ran a lot more.. after a little while, i found it went back to the normal heat and fan speed.

5. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

I also did my own 2gb ram upgrade in my Mini. Didn't notice fans any louder or more often, but then again its so quiet as is, I don't think I would have noticed the difference.