Louder Box??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Hmm... I did the install of my box.

Built the box myself. It's 2.2 cf sealed. The speaker is a brahma and the amp is a BMF 1000d. The box is sitting in the spare tire spot for the time being as you can see in these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sub will eventually move to the back of the trunk but untill I reposition things that's where it is temporarily.

I'm wondering if my sub is hitting correctly. It sounds really loud inside the cab but outside the car it doesnt sound very loud. (Too me) The car doesnt rattle at all which I'm suprized about. Do you think the positioning of the sub is causing a muffled effect?

(wired 1ohm)

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

uhhh why do you want it really loud outside of the car? how old are you again ;)

point is some stereos WONT be loud outside.. even if they are stupid loud inside

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

You got me all wrong. I'm thrilled it's not too loud outside the car but I dont want to look back and see my sub smokin ya know.

That's tight. I guess. The focal's and brahma make a good mix. The box sounds pretty good also. :pats himself on back:

4. 04

04 Guest

Hmm, what was your old box again? 2.2cuft is a rather large enclosure for the Brahma, so it probably wont handle all 1200w at lower frequencies. Looks good though. As for why its not loud outside the car, I dunno. My Mustang's trunk rattles terribly. What kind of materials is the trunk lid made out of?

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I asked some people on the mark VIII forum I visit and they said it's the car. All the people who have sound systems notice the dampening also. Plus the fact that the only thing that rattles is the bumber and that's only a teeny tiny bit.

I think I made the box too big also. I'm thinking it needs to be 14/15.5/18 instead of 14/15.5/22.

I probobly need to make it 1.7cf instead of 2.2 cf. I've noticed on the real low notes it doesnt hit very hard. The box is most likely the problem there.

Anyone know if I could port this 2.2 cf. box with a whole about 8 inches by 2 inches?

6. 04

04 Guest

If the real low notes don't hit hard, DO NOT make the box smaller, as they will be even less loud than before.

7. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

my B12 was in a 1.2 ft^3 sealed and it didn't go low enough for me so i constructed a 2.0ft^3 vented enclosure tuned to 30hz with the help of Kyle Richardson. i love it and i am completely satisfied.

i suppose i could share demensions if you would like them.

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

How's the tone with your brahma. Do you have matching tones between your sub and components? Like, does your sub give you more then just a rumble in the 1.2cf^3. Does the sub sound fuller with the ported box?

9. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

oh it definitely gave more than a rumble at 1.2ft^3, but I am 100% satisfied with the sound of the 2ft^3 vented. it sounds a good bit fuller yes. i just installed a new Rockford 950 CCA battery today and comparing that to my previous no name 525 CCA battery, i didnt htink it would make that much of a difference. i havnt thrown any test tones at it yet but the rap i've been playing on it is very very loud. some people say their system hurts their ears....this really does, and it sounds very clean.

here is my sound domain page...
    (without new box)

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/jlaudlo

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I did the port and did a terribly shitty job. I think the extra size of my box and the leaks in the port make a huge difference in the sound. Therefore I am going to make a new box. If you could. Could you give me the guys email address who made the demensions for you to me so i can figure out what I need to make the box at. I don't know if my amp is going to require a diff. configureation. Also give me your specs again so I can copy it. (draw the box out with demensions ;) )

The SQ def. went up after I changed the xover and sub sonic but It's not nearly as loud. With the sub ported it was about twice as loud as it is now. That's how much sound I lost from the port, but for the SQ it was worth it to destroy the box.

Is your port on the side of the sub or is it a 3d port extending into the sub (like mine)?

The sound is much fuller. Like the sub cleared it's throat. I think if I give it the right box it will really come to life. BTW thanks for all the help so far. :bigthumb:

11. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

the Adire Audio forum at www.acoustic-visions.com is your friend :)

what do you mean extending into the sub? It starts at the front and goes along the right side wall an wraps around to the back wall to get the full 23"

12. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

yea, I saw your drawing. (hadn't seen it before)