Lotus Notes / Novell question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ri0t41, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ri0t41

ri0t41 Pants off Dance off

Im wondering how (and if) Lotus Notes translates a Novell Login (like JSMITH) into a Lotus Notes account [email protected] .

What I want to do is create a form that autofills the senders name and email address based on their Novell login. Since we are phasing out Lotus Notes, I do not want to build the form within Lotus Notes since we are phasing out by the end of the year in favor of Outlook.

I wasnt exactly sure if this is a Novell or Lotus Notes issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Could you be alittle more specific on what purpose you want this form for? What/where were you hoping to autofill?

(quick side question. . . why did you decide to move away from Notes?)

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I don't think Lotus is very well-supported anymore, not a very popular program. At work some people use 1-2-3, but everything's gradually switching over to Excel :dunno:

4. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Just want to clarify that we are now talking about 2 very different things here. . . Lotus, which is part of IBM Corporation, is not an individual program. Yes, it is true that there are not many users left that utilize Lotus 1-2-3 or the Smart Suite Office Software. However Lotus Notes is still a program that is used by many companies large and small. IBM/Lotus is still developing Notes, which is currently on version 6.5.2 and is in the beta testing process for R7. We use Lotus Domino/Notes for our company wide email, intranet and internet websites.

5. damaja

damaja New Member

we used to be on lotus notes too, but recently converted to Outlook. i really don't know what the "real" reasons were for the switch but my company adopted a "One Email" policy across all the subsidiaries. some subs were lotus notes and others were outlook. then conversion is still going on and estimated to finish end of 2005 (over 30,000 users).

one of the cool things i like about outlook is the Outlook on the web future, which lets you access your inbox through a browswer from anywhere. It was a bitch to check your Lotus notes mail from outside my office, always had to carry a disk with the .id file.

6. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Yes, that was the old days. . . now Domino Web Access exists and you can get your Email, Calendar, ToDo's and Contacts all via the web.

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

the novell login name exists as an environment variable %nwusername% IIRC and if you can query that variable using lotusscript you should be good to go

8. Penguin Man

Oh yeah, I know. I figured the Lotus brand had pretty much died out :dunno:

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

no, major corporations still use their email system

10. Penguin Man

:coold: