SRS Lots of Questions about ADD.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BradUF, Jan 15, 2005.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

This is not another post about oo, do I have ADD. I know I have ADD, I never really believed it has held me back in anything and I care about school but I dont care if it takes me 3 times as long to do something. My work is still very high (Nothing but A's besides one class) if it takes me forever. But things are not the same as they were when I was 12. I can't just be a kid and things need to get done. My grades are great but I am on my 5th year of high school and I have to finish this year and I have tasks ahead of me that will require me to come home and spend 6 hours on homework. Also, Teachers and my doctor which is great is always telling me medication will help and I dont doubt it will. I have been tested on and off medication and on meds, I can sit down and read entire books non stop. This was when I was young but they had some special test and they showed me the results. All I remember was when I was in the 7th grade my 6th grade reading level increased to a college reading level. Now all that is great but what really made me think about meds is my friends and my social life. I dont have any problems meeting people and I have a ton of friends but I think what drives away girls in away is my constant tapping of the foot and changing body postion, also I look around and look at my watch like every 5 min. Now my question is this. I feel my ADD has became worse over the past few years. I use to be able to control how often I move around. I just cant stop tapping my damn foot. I think to my self I am tapping my foot because I want to, not because I cant stop. I was tapping my foot a min ago and stop. I cant descripe to you what it feels like to stay still. Its like there is this wierd feeling and I want to move. I dont see how someone cant not move a muscle for 10 minutes. I just dont understand. One of my quests is can ADD become worse as you get older? I am an adult now and I thought it would get better as I get older not worse. It must be getting worse for my doctor, teachers, friends and my mom to suggest I take some medication for it. People have told me my constant moving bothers them and that hurts me.

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Thats the exact way I use to think. But all of these people telling me there is something wrong and I cant help it over years and years has just changed my attuide. Especially that it kinda drives girls off.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Because looking around, tapping your foot, looking at your watch every 5 min and not being able to keep constant eye contact does that. My ex also said it was something that bother her.

4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

By the way I am not anti social or scared of people. I have been to a ton of parties. So I dont think its social related.

5. My son has ADHD and he is on medication for it. He would never make it through school. If I miss a day giving him his medications I can guarantee that I will get a call from the school or a note home. His doctor and counselor suggested concentration games to help him work on his focus. My son is very intelligent but when he is not on his medication people think he is stupid. Medication may or may not be the answer but that should be discussed with the doctor. They have so many new medications out now that there may be one that is good for you but doesn't control you. I only give my son his medication on school days and when I know he has to sit quietly for a long period of time. His doctor told me it was ok to not give it to him if he really doesn't have anything he needs to concentrate on.

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

No, it has nothing to do with girls. I am just saying people notice that stuff and it seems to bother them. My main questions are. 1) Can ADD cause social problems? and 2) Is it possible for it to get worse over the years?

7. SFA

SFA This is what revenge sounds like.

1)I think it can cause social problems. For me at least, before I was on concerta, I couldn't hold a conversation for very long, there would be awkward pauses all the time, because my mind was going 500 places at once, and I just froze up. Concerta helps me concentrate on one thing at a time if I want, so now I'm a more sociable person.

2) I think if you let it become a sort of complex or crutch for you, than yeah it will "get worse" but only in a mental sense, not in a clinical sense. Go see a doctor. They will only help you.

8. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I have seen doctors and all of them tell me to take it but I dont know. Is it worth it? I always felt drugs alter your state of mind and who you really are.

9. SFA

SFA This is what revenge sounds like.

I'm only speaking for myself, but meds changed my life, seriously. I was put on stratterra when I first got to this college, and it helped me so much in school, but it made me hungry all the time, so I switched to concerta, and it's been great. I'd say it is very worth it.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

This sounds like ADHD and you may be a bit obsessive compulsive unless you tap your feet due to the anxiety of being in a new place or around new people. When you become older most people stop being kids and try to mature while you're left still wanting to be a kid, so this is why it appears to have gotten worse. As long as you're doing fine in school, there is no reason to take strong medication. I'd maybe look into Wellbutrin. It is quite safe and does not significantly alter the way you think or feel. It kind of puts you in the position where you actually have more of a choice.

11. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Wellbutrin sounds good but is this something I would end up taking for the rest of my life? If I started taking it I am affaird I would start to rely on it so I dont come accross as twitchy at parties and stuff. Thats another thing, I drink and smoke. I dont know how that would effect me on meds.

lol what happens to me is I start to talk really fast then change subjects.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No, everyone does not have ADD. Do you know what it means? Attention Deficit Disorder. Its actually an antiquated term, replaced by ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. See that part about DISORDER? Thats key. When you are so inattentive that it seriously negatively impacts your life, then you may have ADD, or more correctly, ADHD.

"Everyone," doesn't somewhat have this disorder, but everyone can be inattentive sometimes. For you, it is all in your head because you can "buckle down," and pay attention because you don't have ADHD.

Someone with ADHD can't buckle down. They'll "forget" to "buckle down" in just a few moments. Thats what makes it a disorder.

You have no idea just how helpless and frustrated the ADHD child can feel sitting there at his desk looking around, unable to focus on his classwork, needing to get out of his chair and run around, going NUTS in his skin... and you seem to have little empathy for them. That kid could be in total hell right there in a happy class.

Its all strength vs. weakness, right? ADHD kids just don't try hard enough because they're morally defective, right? Mind over matter...

Its all so fucking self centered and cold. Although usually, simply based in ignorance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

1) Absolutely. If you can't pay attention to what people say long enough to get the context of it... most importantly the emotional context of it, in a relationship... then you're in for some fucking trouble.

2) Yes, it can. If your social skills are impaired by ADHD, then the longer you wait, the harder it can be to overcome. This isn't true for everyone, though. Alot of ADHD adults develop coping mechanisms.

The bottom line is... for someone with ADHD, medication usually makes them a much more effective, happy person. If you think you have it... think about whether you want to be more effective, and happier... if so, seek treatment ;)

14. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Honestly even tho it fucks up my school and thats what I should care about I dont that much. What I really care about is the twicthyness everyone see's. Besides drugs if I just want to control that, what can I do?

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Welbutrin should be fine with drinking and smoking. I believe there is a warning about drinking... but everyone ignores it, and side effects are rare. Ask your doctor. It should help you with your talking fast and changing subjects. This will make parties better, not worse.

And no, you don't have to take it for life. You can stop whenever you want.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Are you talking about tics? Where you can't help but twitch? You have some LIMITED control over it for a few moments, but eventually it will happen again?

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

ADHD is often accompanied by Tic Disorder, which is the less severe version of Tourette Syndrome. They are both caused by problems with similar neurotransmitters: dopamine and norepinephrine, in certain parts of the brain. This really ought to clue you in that both have a physical cause, and aren't "all in your head." You probably got a bad gene or two or twenty... who knows? The science isn't there yet.

Don't get it in your head that you can go around calling everyone a motherfucker, etc. and get away with it though. ;) That only happens in the most severe cases of full blown Tourette's. I'm not a doctor, and I think you should go to one for a diagnosis and tell him everything that you've told us... but I have this as well, so it sounds all too familiar.

No, you cannot think your way out of tics. Its a neurological, as opposed to psychological, condition... its a brain stem thing. You can't control that part of your brain. Its not a "thought," area. You might try meditation, or something to calm your nervous system down in general... this is in fact helpful to everyone in all aspects of life, but I wouldn't expect a cure from it.

You're basically limited to medication as a fix. It sucks, but its true. These medications can have annoying side effects for some people. Some people have no side effects, though. It just depends. The other motherfucker of it, is that drugs that tend to treat your ADHD will tend to irritate your tics. This is not always the case, and its not the case with all drugs. You're going to have to work with your doctor to find out what works for you.

For instance, when I was in sophmore year of college, I was on high dose adderall for ADHD, along with clonidine for the tics that it made worse. I couldn't take clonidine alone though... it would put me right to sleep. Lately I haven't been on anything... at this point in my life, the tics only happen when I'm overtired. Then I get them pretty bad sometimes, but I'm old enough that there aren't really social repercussions to them. So I don't give a fuck.

Anyway, there are a number of treatments out there. You ought to explore them. None of them are a commitment... you can try and then get off, with zero lasting effect. Its worth exploring... with your doctor.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ooooh, and there's a silver lining. :big grin: When I once found myself in bed with the most beautiful girl its ever been my priveledge to get picked up by... I asked her what made her come up to me. She said, "Gee, I think it was the <wink> <wink> <wink>!"

I had a tick, winked at her hard three times, never had a clue, and was then happily surprised when she came up to me all confident I was into her. Which... I was.

19. BradUF

BradUF Guest

When I was younger they had me on adderall too but I think it reduced tics tho.

20. BradUF

BradUF Guest

The tics really do drive away girls and I feel my ADD has an impact on my social life even tho its good, it could be better. I just thank god my tics happen in fourms of shaking my leg, tapping my foot or changing posture and not some crazy tic. None the less people still notice and just think I am some hyper child. Being 20 and 6'3 people think its odd I cant stay still. Also this is really odd I cant describe the feeling but the closest I can get too is that its this tingle in my legs and if I move around it gets rid of it. I know that sounds odd but thats the way I feel.

21. JordanClarkson

If you have tics, stimulants for ADD can make them worse. I used to have them bad when I was younger. I learned to calm down parts of my body but lately it's turned into teeth grinding.

You could always try natural remedies such as:

flax seed oil or fish oil or cod oil
    spirulina, magnesium, b5, b6, l-arginine

these can work really well for some people.

22. BradUF

BradUF Guest

b5 and b6 sounds useful for more then just tics. I can pick them up at a local drug store?

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Clonidine will be slightly more effective. Talk it over with your doctor.

24. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I dont even think he knows I have tics. I feel stupid telling him I care more about the tics then the ADD.

25. JordanClarkson

yup and if not try a health store