MMA Lots of noobs?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Is anyone else getting alot of new trials and signups at your gym? Summertime is usually the slower time for enrollment and attendance just because it's nice outside, but we're getting TONS of new people showing up. It's great because we're having alot of different people at all different levels and our gym is really growing.

I'm just having to watch grouping with them the next two weeks, becuase I don't know them yet. We had a guy (big... probably 5'9" 270+ and fat) show up wearing a two stripe blue belt, who like to spaz out and lock in armbars in drills before leaning back onto the ground. Stuff like that with new guys is not how I want to get injured before a fight. He didn't know how to thread the needle, how to do a cross body kimura correctly, or alot of other basics. Makes you wonder what MMA mcdojo's are out there.

But yeah, tons of new signups. Mostly good guys that want to learn, and a couple we'll have to slowly "train" out of old habits, haha.

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i seriously hope nothing like that is at the gym/school i'm going to in PA...no official training regiment...just people learning from each other....

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It's pretty rare, and is usually only in new members before they get straightened out. There are a couple guys who don't know the difference between "training" and "fighting" but few and far between, and they don't show up much because they get bitched out or taught a lesson by people much better than them.

I don't know if I would function as well in an environment with no training regiment though. We have a ciriculum and testing requirements that we dance around and implement while going through our technical work day in and day out. It really helps to keep on track with your training I think.

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Our beginners classes are packed to the point that I don't even show up because there is so little mat room and so many new guys who don't understand that drilling a takedown doesn't mean trying to kill your partner.

It's great to have the school enrollment up, and I love being able to help and teach new guys, but they have to understand that, for a lot of us, drilling and technique work isn't meant to be 80%, and none of us want to get hurt doing it. Reguardless of how hard you want to roll, most of us still have to get up and go to work tomorrow.

5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

my lessons are a bit different than most (from what i hear/know)....we learn a move, go through it a bunch slowly....then add the resistance of our opponent....then tumble being allowed to use all the moves we know at 60% speed/aggression

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  6. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Todays noobs are tomorrows champions. I hope you guys don't discourage them but instead mentor them. Nothing worse then going into a place to learn something and getting a bad taste for it because of some other guys need to make you feel less them him. Seen it too many times, done it myself on both sides. Now I just try to teach what I know and be as positive as I can in all things.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I don't think anyone said anything about discouraging them, but if someone is out of line you need to teach them. I said new members were a good thing.

8. friedrice

friedrice New Member

I know, never said ya did. Was just sayin.

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

we got a LOT of new people last september/october, and only a handful really stuck around.

10. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i am very fortunate every one at my gym has been really helpful so far. Right away telling me when I am doing something wrong, going through it slow with me, and wanting to help me improve. All I could ask for I guess lol.

11. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Tompkins was bad for that, not so much for new guy's not knowing the difference between training and fighting. But just for newbs coming out of the woodwork all together.
    Every day I was there I would see half a dozen new faces that I would never see again. After most UFC events the turnout would double, especially if Mark or Sam fought.