SRS Lost

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anna28471, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

I'm currently trying to finish up college. I am striving towards a degree in (how ironic is this..) counseling. Last year I finished two internships at a Drug & Alcohol Rehab. Center as a Counselor and the other at my local Youth Service Center as a Teacher. Both jobs, I performed well and enjoyed.

I'm sure as you are now reading this, you are thinking to yourself "what's she posting in this tread for?" Well, my life is falling apart. My family is doing very badly financially and will be soon be forced to take out a loan on our home. My family is my 88 year old grandmother who owns the home and my 57 year old schizophrenic mother. Needless to say I didn't have a "normal" upbringing but then again many people don't... and have it worst. I have tried to help out financially but as a full time college student there is only so much that I can do. :wtc:

As I enter this upcoming spring semester of college, I have the opportunity to work at an Assisted Living Facility making $13.89 per hour but with no benefits. I am tempted to take on this job but career counselors at the college are urging me to establish more experience in the counseling field. So what would be the smart choice-- take this new job or build work experience? Either way, I will still be going to college.. I am hoping that I will have some extra financial aid money to help my family out.

Please help me so I don't mess up my future.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The smart choice is to listen to your career counselors and establish more experience, however the RIGHT choice is to take care of your family first. Blood runs thick, i easily would throw myself in the fire if that would be the only thing i could do to save the life of my loved ones. In this case 'family first'. You can never blame yourself afterwards, because you took care of those who are most important to you. Now your choice is basically between two fires, you know you can get experience as you work at the assisted living facility, its not nice but plunge yourself in the counselling waters in that assisted living facility and start right away. As soon as the things at home have been sorted out (which you should fixate yourself on since your grandmother and mother can't take care of such a mental task)

make an emergency plan , as to where you all could go if things would go worse to worse. Maby you could get financial aid http://www.schizophrenia.com/ , i would definitly post what you said in here there, and dig in to see if there's any kind of welfare that you can tap into. In terms of financial support or a roof above your head so to speak.

3. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

I have given up alot of my life for my family. After high school, I took 3 years off just to care for them. When I returned to college, my mother had a nervous breakdown which lasted 1 1/2 years until they could stablize her on medication. As a result my grades suffered because I felt everything in my life falling apart. Once things began to get better, I returned to college and am on the Deans Honor List. My mother is on disability and is under the care of the local mental health authority. They want to find her a new apartment which they will help her pay for so that she can learn to function independently. My grandmother on the other hand... is holding on tight to my mother out of fear something will happen. Samething with me, if I even want to leave the house she will tell me "you can't go by yourself! i'll go with you." This underminds my confidence in myself. I don't know what to do. I've given up so much for my family. I am in crazy debt myself. I cannot handle anymore. My career has been the only thing in my life and if I lose that..what will happen? I'm 28 and have been applying for jobs in my field and am already receiving grief for not having enough work experience.

I don't know what to do.