Lost serial numbers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GTS4eva, Aug 28, 2006.

1. GTS4eva

GTS4eva New Member

So I'm not looking for a crack or anything of that sort. I am simply looking for a way to recover the serial numbers off of each CD. I do volunteer work repairing computers and we are trying to install some microsoft office (pro). A lawfirm decided to donate a bunch of unused CDs withno cases or the boxes they came in. There are about a dozen of them and I need to find a way (if any) to get the serials back.

So are these CD's now worthless without their serial number or what?

Thanks

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The installation code isn't on the CD. The CDs are all identical within the same exact version.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

no way to do this. cd key's aren't burned into the disc or anything. You need to call microsoft and get permission to re-install that software. If the law firm is still using the software, then you are not legally aloud to use the software.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You can usually contact MS and mail the old copy of the disk to MS to get a replacement with a valid CD key. However, it might cost some money to do this but no idea how much. You also might have to find an actual person to talk to....if you are having trouble resolving it....call The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I hear they have connections. :)

As ppl have said, CD Keys are usually NOT unique to each CD. However, a CD Key for MS Windows 98 will not usually work for MS Windows 98 SE. If you have many CD Keys lying around the office, try different ones....when you find the right one....mark the CD witht he key. If you don't have the CD Keys lying around, call the law firm and see if they have them.

5. GTS4eva

GTS4eva New Member

The CD's are not used by the law firm, that is why they donated them, they had no use for it (I think they upgraded, these are office 2003, they have XP).

I will let them know though that they are not unique.

Thank you all

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why would they "give" you office 2003 and they "upgrade" to XP.... considering that 2003 is several years newer than XP?