SRS Lost my Job, Depressed over it

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JediMasterMatt, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JediMasterMatt

JediMasterMatt New Member

Hey fellow OTer's. I thought I would drop in and tell my story.

I was recently terminated from my job at a local transportation facility here in Cincinnati OH. Their reason behind the termination was simply a lack of work due to the fact that the company was losing business. I had only been with the company for 6 months and since I was the newbie basically, they let me go.

It has only been several weeks, but I am severely depressed about losing this job. I had just bought a new car, my fiance and I were saving up to buy a house come the end of the year, and now here I am, unemployed.

I feel like I am worthless and that I have let my fiance down because until I get a new job we won't be saving much for our new house.

I don't know what to do, I can't concentrate, can't enjoy many things of late, and I'm just bitter towards a lot of people and things. I want a job badly, but am afraid I won't get one soon. :wtc:

Sorry to bother you all, but I wanted to share.

2. Exiled

Exiled New Member

It's never a good time when you lose a job that way.. you feel like you're worthless.. like you weren't worth enough for them to WANT to keep you..

It's ok though... I look at it like this.. everything happens for a reason... life goes on, just open up the paper, start over.. see what happens..

Try not to be so depressed, maybe your girl will see it and leave you..

3. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

When one door closes, another waits to be opened. Go and see what opportunity awaits behind the next door.

:hug:

4. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Hey man,
    If you were showing up late, every day, hung over as shit, and clocking out early this would be entirely on your shoulders... but this isn't the scenario now, is it. Just wanted to come in here and say at least this wasn't because of something you did!! Keep your head up knowing this was beyond your control.
    Good luck to you and your girl. This isn't much I'm sure, but there is no shame in what happened to you. Get your name and face out there and make things happen.

5. JediMasterMatt

Thanks everyone who has said something so far. mrchina you are absolutely right, I did nothing on my end to screw up my employment.

6. mrchina

mrchina Guest

It's the truth man, don't be so hard on yourself :) Because of the circumstances, would you consider unemployment for the short term while you're out getting your feet wet...applying for jobs and such? I mean, this is really what it's for. You paid into the system. If it were me I'd have no problems going after it.

7. JediMasterMatt

I am going to apply for unemployment, I need to because of some bills I have. It is a blow to your pride, I will tell you that.

8. uCallmeBobby

uCallmeBobby (_!_)

Why is unemployment insurance a blow to your pride? Take pride in who you are. You are not your paycheck.

Seeking help where it is readily available is the smart thing to do.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You should follow this up with applying for 10 jobs tomorrow also. Apply for 10 the next day and 10 the next. You should keep up this pattern until you find another job.

You can sit around and cry about the circumstances or your can use that energy to find another job. Most people were looking for a job when they found their current one.

Most people have lost their job at some point. The people that bounce right back and start applying right away are the people the overcome obstacles in their lives.....they are the ones that won't let a temporary set back wreck them financially because they are willing to work and won't stop looking till they find it.

I know it's difficult and unexpected and you feel bad. But you have to realize, there are no guarantees in life and most people will have to deal with being laid off/fired for whatever reason. Hell I was once fired because I was a bartender and I was drinking up all the booze.

So file for unemployment if you need it but don't use that as an excuse to take a 3 week vacation from working. Get back out there and apply for another job....make that 10! Before you know it, you'll be back to working again and have a whole different set of problems to deal with.

Good luck.

10. JediMasterMatt

I have, I must have filled out 15+ apps on Monster.com and various other websites today. Plus called several contacts I have. I plan on doing the same tomorrow.

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Awesome! :bigthumb:

Good luck and hang in there. You'll find something soon.

12. Bleed

Bleed New Member

dude small steps :)

dont put pressure on yourself like buying a house and all that stuff in a 1 yr span. that's a very lofty goal for 1 year. give yourself plenty of time to achieve major milestones like that. give yourself 3 years.....its one thing to save for a house but it's also another thing if you dont enjoy the ride there.

just take small steps to get the ball rolling again and then everything else will come along at the right time. you dont take a house to the grave u know :)

13. JediMasterMatt

I'm 24 and living at home, trying to save up to buy a house and move out. A lot of my income went to paying off student loans. I want to get out of here, I feel like a loser living at home.

14. disgusting

disgusting is this a girl or a guy? b/c i got a hard on OT Supporter

eat some salad and steak it will make you feel better
    if it doesn't, eat more salad and steak until you DO feel better
    this combination makes you poop daily

15. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Everyone here is right in that you did nothing to cause this, so don't worry! Unemployement Insurance is for people like YOU who were let go for no cause of their own who need a little help making it to that next job that will be even better than the last.

Everything does happen for a reason, and maybe the perfect job for you is just waiting around the corner. Good job in filling out those apps and getting a start. Just sell yourself and how wonderful you know you are to each of those employers and they will be fighting over you ;)

And use this time to decide what you and your fiance need out of a job, and also use the extra time at home to show just how much you love and appreciate her. :naughty:

16. Dark5259

Dark5259 New Member

Don't worry! I'm sure you'll find another job! Since you live in Cinci, you could try working at SkyLine Chili!

17. JediMasterMatt

Thanks 08'er!!!!!!!!!! :wiggle:

18. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

you were laid off due to a poor business climate instead of poor conduct. Its not fun, but at least you weren't flat out fired due to detrimental conduct.

It sucks, no doubt, but those things happen... Turn that frown upside down, take a very deep breath and move forward.

you'll find another job... hopefully even a better one :)

19. JediMasterMatt

Hopefully. I have my resume out on Monster and career builder, not too much in the way of hits right now, but I am in contact with several recruiters.