GUN Lost family says they were denied help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 30, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lost family says they were denied help
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008
    Last Updated Tuesday January 29, 2008, PST 2:21 AM
    BY ALLISON PRIES
    STAFF WRITER
    Email this story Printer friendly version

MAHWAH -- A family of six who got lost in the woods Sunday told police they were turned away by a camp caretaker when they asked for help.

Susan and Ian Ratner of Ho-Ho-Kus, their two dogs and four children -- ranging in age from 5 months to 10 years old -- set off on the Orange Trail in Ringwood, near Lake Tamarack, around 1 p.m. The hiking trail is part of the 750-acre Camp Glen Gray recreation area that straddles the border of Bergen and Passaic counties.

But about three hours into their hike, they became disoriented. The family had a cellphone, but spotty service resulted in calls to the police being disconnected.

By 4:30, with the sun beginning to set, Bergen County, Mahwah, Ringwood and Oakland police were brought in to help with the ground search, and state police pitched in with a helicopter.

Around that time, the family stumbled upon the Camp Glen Gray Campgrounds, where they met Drew Baumgardt, a ranger at the campsite.

Susan Ratner reported to police that she asked Baumgardt if he could drive her and the children somewhere to get help. According to a report filed by the Mahwah police, Baumgardt refused. Ratner then asked if she could use his telephone. He refused and advised her of a pay phone at the camp, the couple told police.

Ian Ratner then asked for directions back to the trail the family was traveling, and Baumgardt complied. But the family became lost again, the report says.

The family eventually found their way to rescuers by following the sounds of police sirens. No one was injured.

Baumgardt denies turning the family away. He said he told the Ratners, whom he described as ill-prepared and inexperienced, that "their best course of action was to go into the office and make a call."

He said he never mentioned a pay phone and that he is not authorized to transport people in his county-owned vehicle. "I suggested they not walk up one side of the lake that's roped off and cordoned off with caution tape and a note" warning that it is icy, he said.

"They continued to go on that path."

Reached by phone Monday, Ian Ratner declined to comment, saying: "I'd rather not ... for the sake of my family."

Asked if he planned to file a lawsuit or had obtained a lawyer, Ratner said, "No comment."

No one answered at the camp. The Web site says Glen Gray is not staffed on Mondays. The property is a former Boy Scout camp that the county bought for $5.1 million in 2002. It is managed by the non-profit Friends of Glen Gray. County officials said Baumgardt works for the non-profit.

"I see no reason why the family would be less than truthful," Mahwah Police Chief James Batelli said.

Batelli said he felt bad for the Ratners.

"As darkness was approaching ... especially with young children, there were so many different options available to render assistance. He [Baumgardt] could have given them a ride down mountain, access to a cellphone, or he could have called for help and waited with them until it arrived," the chief said. "To leave them there is an unconscionable act."

E-mail: [email protected]

:ugh:
    How the fuck do you get lost at a campground in NJ :rofl: How can you even consider yourself lost in the woods if you have payphones around? Sounds like a whole family full of retards to bad the whole family didn't die of hypothermia the gene pool would be a little cleaner.

2. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

ive been in some large state parks here in FL... and i never, at any point, became even remotely lost. what a bunch of morans :ugh:

3. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

I cannot say this enough: The world needs a good plague.

4. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

every day i realize more and more how poor a sense of direction people have by seeing cars with those tom toms mounted to their windshields. i never seen so many GPS contraptions then i have in the last 6 months.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

No shit, it's amazing how many people couldn't get out of a paper sack without a GPS unit.

6. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

whats worse is that i live in Miami.. where id say atleast %85 of the streets are designated with numbers.. not names. trying to find "Lakewood" drive when youre on "hollow drive" ok.. i can understand.. but fuck.. when youre on 135th street and youre looking for 163rd street... forhte love of god.. you only have so many options to where it would be

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Come on dude, math is hard! :rofl:

8. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

You guys are brutal.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]
    How the fuck do you get lost there unless your a retard?

10. smartypants

smartypants New Member

These people are colossal idiots.
    They should have been eaten by dingos

11. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I don't know. :noes:

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That being said, "Ian Ratner of Ho-Ho-Kus" doesn't have the same ring as "Tarzan of the Jungle"

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The place is about 2 miles wide with major roads on all 4 sides, its not even remote enough for Bear Grylls to film there.

14. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Bear films off the side of highways. :ugh2:

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I was thinking about this but I didn't want to stir up the Bearistas.

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:bowrofl:

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

as fake as he is, the show is still really entertaining :hs:

18. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:wtf: I don't even see an area on the map where you could think you were lost. They would have to have been walking in very small circles.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Those are known for being big and dangerous.

20. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Survivorman FTW.

21. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

:bowrofl: what a bunch of idiots

You'd think they could have just hung out in the parking lot and used the payphone. They walked right past both :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: