Loss of Sex Drive (due to BCP)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Fearan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Hello,

My girlfriend started taking the pill about 14 months ago. She used to have an awesome sex drive, and would always be really horny. She had the physical need my horny self always has. After beginning the pill, we saw a gradual loss in sex drive. She was using Alesse.

About 4 months ago, I told her I couldn't take it anymore, so we decided to see the doc for a pill change, she recommended Ortho Tri Cyclen. This pill has made it worst, and has brought about some mild depression and weight gain.

We are now debating wether to go back to Alesse, or go back to good ol' condoms. Another thing we are considering is trying yet another pill, so does anyone know any other pills that would actually increase her horniness? Her doctor is incompetent (general university doctor, not worth two shits) and has no idea what else to recommend.

Any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Any kind of chemical hormone messes with the libido. So if you want the libido back, drop the hormone option. However I would recommend asking the doctor about other types of BC. There are IUDs, cervical caps, diaphrams and I forget what else. They all have their pros and cons, especially if you want to have kids later on. I want to say the sponge is back on the market too and that used to be REALLY popular as an alternative to condoms.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Is the sponge over the counter or is it prescription?
    I also lost my sex drive with Ortho Tri-Cyclen and it's horrible. I just stopped taking it and am switching to something else. I'd like to recomend that you (and her obviously) talk to her doctor about it as they will be able to help you the most.

4. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

IUD is the best birth control that still allows ur penis the feeling of wet velvet.

5. Fearan

Fearan Guest

IUD seems like a scary thing to put inside your body. :dunno: but yeah my gf is really not too much into the IUD.

03 white zx3, what pill are you switching to?

And how effective is the sponge?

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I think I've been on the pill for three months now (on the Ortho Tri Cyclen) and I'm switching to the patch (Ortho Evra). I'm REALLY not fond of hormonal birth control though so I don't know what I'll do.
    I miss my IUD.

7. skelm

skelm New Member

I think the answer for you is to get another IUD... Your SO should understand that you feel it's the best thing for you at this point in time.

8. fiestyshot

fiestyshot New Member

My sister got pregnant while she was on IUD.:eek4:

9. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp...calinfo/birthcontrol/pub-birth-control-02.xml

It's not very effective at all. Don't use only that unless you don't care if she gets pregnant. All of those barrier methods have horrible effectiveness ratings. Have her try the nuvaring. It is still hormonal but it's supposed to be a little bit smaller dose than the pills because it slowly releases the hormones throughout the day.

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Not neccesarily. We're planning on trying for a baby within the next couple of years. Once we have our second child I will be getting another IUD.

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

That's pretty rare. An IUD is more effective than a tubal litigation.
    My IUD slipped out of place though, so I can see how that could happen.

12. ally

ally awh kittah

The same problem happened to myself.:sadwavey: I was on alesse and switched to ortho as well. I have now been on it for about 2 years and my sex drive has been on a roller coaster. I am not comfortable with an IUD (as you mentioned your girl might not be) so my b/f and I had to just roll with the changes.

Perhaps another aspect in her life is affecting her sex drive as well? I found that when i changed up my diet a bit (after the pill's affect) I had a much higher sex drive. Just a suggestion!

I know it is super frustrating but it is for the other side as well! good luck with your troubles I hope you find a solution! :dunno:

13. joecoolinatl

joecoolinatl Certified Boobologist

Don't try the Nuvaring!!!!!!!!!! My GF used it and turned into superbitch!!! It was like Jekyll and Hyde.

14. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

The nuvaring is the same hormones as the pill. Any BC can have side effects like that, it's not just the ring.