Losing weight, but gaining muscle...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Kortiz-DZ, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kortiz-DZ

Kortiz-DZ Resident Nigerian Lipper OT Supporter

I know how I can lose the weight...but not sure if at the same time I can add the muscle.

I'm 6'4" and weight ~280ish (I haven't weighed in about a month...but that was my weight and my clothes haven't gotten any more loose on me but fit the same...figure I'm about the same.)

I think I'd be pretty happy with myself if I were around 240lbs. The gut is a part of me. It adds character, but the love handles got to go. I also want to add definition to my legs...something I'm going to need to incorporate into my workouts again.

Doing it period is the biggest part of it, and I know if I was dedicated, I'd be where I want to be, but figure talking about it might help with motivation. After 6 months I thought perhaps...even without too much modding to my diet...I might look a little better. I'm learning diet is probably 1/2-2/3 the battle.

Currently I do a 3-4 day a week workout routine. I get to the gym and either run a mile around a 1/9th mile track or get on the elliptical for 1 mile. Then I head down and lift.

Tuesday: 1mile/Chest workouts/1mile
    Thursday: 1mile/Arm workouts/1mile
    Saturday: 1mile/Shoulder and Back workouts/1mile
    4th workout will only incorporate cardio....either monday or wednesday depending on my mood.

Lately, my workout buddy and I have kind of been doing mostly the main parts of our work out (chest on tuesday and bicep/tricep thursday...and then on either of those days add in a back and shoulder workout) This is mostly because I end up going by myself on Saturday and typically just do cardio.

I've been doing this since the end of October 2005.

Muscle-wise I've seen a good 30-50 increase. This is good for me...and hopefully about normal without any type of supplements besides a Monster Energy Drink. What I'd like to know is what type of workout is going to help me the most? Am I going in the right direction?

If so, what type of diet do most of you guys use? My diet is pretty shot....too much pizza and too much sugar...breads and sweets are the devil...and I love them.

I want to cut...but keep adding muscle. Is this possible?

cliffs: Cutting weight...but adding muscle too....definition to the legs, and losing the love handles. Monster energy drinks are my only energy adding supp...if you can even call that one. Diet is shot...how do I stay fed, but healthy?

Thanks, and hopefully this is comprehendable.

2. lif

lif New Member

Yea theoretically its possible but you can't eat pizza or sweets to do it

3. Kortiz-DZ

So far, I'd like to think my diet is the only thing holding me back.

It's going to mean a full change to my routine and outlook on life to do so. It's like a rut, I feel like. A routine that I am happy I can go to the gym religiously....but work and school make me lazy when all else comes into view. Im drained, in other words.

4. lif

lif New Member

If you stop eating pizza and sweets i guarantee you lose ~10 lbs in a month.

5. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

don't your lovehandles come off last? good luck getting rid of those. I'm in the exact same boat as you in a way. I'm 6'4 but 295 right now. Been "cutting" since oct '05. Started at 378, so i'm down 83lbs. All my lifting has gone up in weight. The only think I don't see on yorus is legs. how come you arent lifting yoru legs? They are important muscles and also important to keep you from being injured with all that cardio.

6. nitak

nitak New Member

i think its possible. If you time your carbs properly. maybe even look into carb cycling. and are you working out 3 times a day ? or is that 1mile run after working out

7. Kortiz-DZ

1mile, workout, 1mile

this typically happens in about a 1hr-30min time period.

8. broccoli

broccoli New Member

All that cardio? There's a ton of runners out there doing 60 to 70 miles a week that never lift.

9. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

Work out your legs. They make up half of your body.

10. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

and thats just stupid of them. See post above this one. legs are half your body, can't just neglect them.

11. Kortiz-DZ

I was actually using the running as a workout for my legs...although I do have a nice little shin splint that has reoccured in the last 3 months or so from running. The elliptical is good for it...but I ran a 5k a month ago that pretty much brought it back full force. 33mins 2seconds btw. Not bad for a fat sombitch.

12. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

no. Also, whats teh point of only running one mile or so, other than to warm up? It burns what, 100 calories or so?

Also, dont expect leg definition while keeping your character gut, you arent going to have much at all without getting into single digit BF %

13. Layman

Layman New Member

It depends on your weight. I think the rule of thumb is 100 calories/mile/160lbs, so for him each mile would be about 200+ calories. Well worth the effort.

Not necessarily true. I have pretty good leg definition (no Jay Cutler, but nonetheless), yet I still have about 10-15lbs of fat to cut from my torso.

14. Kortiz-DZ

How often can I workout my legs per week? I remember hearing it can be done constantly every other day...is this true?

15. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

if you're able to work them hard more than twice a week you're doing something wrong

16. Kortiz-DZ

17. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

i fear losing my gut :wtc:

18. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

awww there, there <3

19. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

and it shows

Thread Status: