SRS Losing my job, girlfriend left to south carolina, fear of going back to Japan

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChronoGN, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

I am at a point in my life where whatever I decide to do right now will have a major impact on my future.

I moved to the U.S. when I was 7 years old. I grew up in the states, this is all I know. I got back to Japan once every year or two to see my family but I sit around bored most of the time when I am there because I don't know anyone there. I don't mind visiting Japan but I would never want to live there.

But the problem is, I don't have a green card or a U.S. citizen ship. I've been under my dad's B1 Visa till I graduated High School then I switched to a F1 student Visa and went to Michigan State University for four years.
    Now that I graduated college, I am supposed to go back. But I found a loop hole by getting an OPT (Optional Practical Training) which is a work permit that will allow me to stay in the U.S. as long as I have a job related to my major for a year. After a year, I'm supposed to leave the U.S.

Right now I am working for a major Japanese Automotive Supplier as an intern. But because of the Auto Industry going to shit, they are probably going to let me go after my intern is over (About 2 months ago, they told me they have a position for me after my intern was over. Now the time has changed and they are not allowed to hire anyone anymore.) So, I'm going to lose my job before the holidays. Without a job, I gotta go back to Japan.

Now, I have an option to marry my gf to get a green card. Would it really be worth it to get married for that though? I love my gf but I don't really want to get married yet. I'm only 22. And she just recently dropped out of college because she can't afford it, went active duty in the Army for the pay, and moved down to South Carolina. She is financially unstable and marrying her can be a big disaster.

Also, my friend told me that he would marry me so I can get my green card. Do they grant green card for same sex marriages? :greddy:

2. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Do you have any niche skills to gain sponsorship? Can you apply for citizenship without the risk of being deported once your visa is up? If not, marry the crazy army girl

3. pharcyde92

pharcyde92 New Member

Go back to japan and work for a few years then decide if you want to come back.

4. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

The only skills I have is in Automotive Engineering. And you know how the automotive industry is right now.

5. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

I thought about doing that but I would have to sell my Audi S4. :wtc:

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Why did you never apply for citizenship in the past 15 years?

7. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

Its not that easy as you see on TV shows. There are only like 4 ways to do this. Get married, buy your way (About $500,000), Diplomatic reasons, Family.

8. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Ill take the S4 :x:.

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

10. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

http://web.cuny.edu/about/citizenship/us-citizenship/requirements.html
    Which means you have to have a Green Card.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

11. mandrew

mandrew New Member

Would you be allowed to stay here if you went back to school for a Masters degree? If so, you could do your masters program while looking for another job.

Personally I wouldn't marry someone who I don't want to marry, but that's just me. I also wouldn't get a same-sex marriage if it was just for the benefits, because the whole gay marriage thing is controversial right now and the proponents of abolishing gay marriage would use cases of men marrying each other just for the benefits as a way to fuel their argument. Doing so could hurt a bunch of gay people who want to get married.

12. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

I'm actually thinking about moving to a third world country if worst comes to worst. I think it would be better to live in countries like Thailand or Phillipines than live in Japan. At least good looking women are abundant there and there are alot of good night life places.

13. ChronoGN

ChronoGN Party Kid

Yeah, masters degree would actually be a good option. But the problem is, I don't have the money to pay for it. I would need atleast $40,000 to go into a good MBA program..

14. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

It sounds like you don't want to stay in the states... You don't need to be in a GOOD MBA program, you just need to be in a program that allows you to stay here.

But you are saying that Japan doesn't have night life, women and fun shit to do? Why does everyone flock to tokyo the largest city in the world?

You're 22, you can (and will) make new friends wherever you go, you can get a job doing whatever you have to do to pay bills, and you can go clubbing just about anywhere in the world.

15. marvd00d

marvd00d Gonzalez>Swine Flu

I knew a family that paid a girl 10k to "marry" their son so he can stay here. I know they married, but no idea what happened after that.

You talk to a lawyer or something, there's always new ways to stay here

16. Julius

Julius Guest

keep in mind that if you marry her, she will begin drawing BAH. this is intended to offset the cost of housing for a married couple, but she also has the option of becoming a geographic bachelor in her unit or she can move off post with a roommate.

nothing too big, but i wanted to highlight that there is a tangible benefit here.

17. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Shit, go to the Phillipines!! It's beautiful, it's cheap as hell and you can go to school for next to nothing. Come back to the US later.

18. Outspoken_Hetero

Outspoken_Hetero New Member

MOVE TO CANADA!!!

19. timatom90

timatom90 New Member

thats actually not a bad idea... my parents immigrated from china, so i know a lot of other chinese who immigrated here and are not citizens (yet). oftentimes, when their visas run out they find it easier to go to canada (i'm not sure why on the specfics, but its probably due to laxer immigration rules)

vancouver seems to be a big place for immigrants btw