SRS losing my battle with depression :\

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by e.pie, Aug 31, 2008.

1. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

been ongoing for a while now, it all started when I got stationed overseas in belgium, which you would think should be an awesome opportunity and how could anyone be depressed here (at least that's what everyone I talk to seems to think) but it's the complete opposite of that, my life has become complete shit since I got here, I have no really close friends (or much of any friends really) my wife is 8000 miles away, we've been separated for a year and a half now, and she doesn't seem to understand what I am going through at all (she is in the "but you're in europe how could it possibly suck" camp) I absolutely hate my job here, I don't get along with my co-workers at all (I used too but the ones I got along with have all left now) and I really don't have anyone I can turn too or trust. I've been seeing a therapist but other than having someone to talk too it hasn't really helped much at all. It's ruining my marriage and my career being here and I have no way out, I'm stuck here until may 2010. I don't have anything to look forward to anymore and dread waking up every day, even on days I don't have to go to work. I don't know if this post even makes sense I just needed to get this off my chest, I don't know what to do anymore and don't have anyone to turn too since no one seems to understand what I am going through here

2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

oh and all me and my wife do anymore is argue, which really helps my situation

3. Naygrow

Naygrow .

you could request orders out of germany, commands are usually pretty understanding about that or you could have your wife come over to germany since you are already recieving BAH, correct? but i'm sure you've tried those already and neither of them have worked, oh and a military therapist will do everything that you ask them to do for you

4. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

my therapist already told me there wasn't much that he could do other than be a therapist

I wish I could get orders out of here, I was trying to get my tour shortened but that got shot down pretty fast

my wife is in the military too so it's not that simple for her to come over here

5. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

getting on some sort of anti-depressant is also an option, but I don't know if I want something like that to follow me on my medicka record

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Id get the hell out of the militairy the second you get a chance. Those countries are rather depressing because of the bad weather, you might not be adjusted to it. There's nothing much in Belgium anyway and the atmosphere couldn't be worse at the moment, its not the place to be. I would immediatly try to get orders to get stationed somewhere else, convince your superiors that you are needed somewhere else more. I think you should mention you are getting incredibly depressed there in Belgium and do everything in your power to get out of there.

7. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

my leadership knows what I am going through, their advice was to pretty much "get over it"

I love the military, but whatever the fuck this place is sure isn't the military I knew for the 4 years prior to me coming here, it's like bizarro world, I don't even feel like I am in military anymore. This place has all the negatives of being in the military without any of the benefits.

the leadership in my squadron here is absolutely terrible, and everyone sees it, but no one does anything about it

getting orders out of here is next to impossible, I've tried to do that already, a few times

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Waiting won't work. Its YOU who Makes YOU happy, don't listen to the stupid advice of 'get over it' cuz you wont instead get the hell out of there.

9. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

I don't know much of your situation man other than what you listed above, but it seems to me that for the time you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If I were you I'd try to make the best of it. For instance you say you have no friends, in which case I imagine that you don't really do much once you get off work. Why not go and hang out at some local cafes and get to know some of the locals?

I'm Eastern Euro myself (romanian) and I think you'll find some cool people soon enough. A lot of them know English and they'll like having a "cool" American friend. Don't get the wrong idea here that you'll instantly find some cool people though. Just get out there, you'll probably meet some arrogant twats along the way... but really you could end up making some life long friends.

I don't know about you, but trying to imagine myself in your situation, I think that having some people to hang out with after work would make the whole situation a whole lot more bearable.

Just my 2 cents. If you try it, post it here, I'd like to hear how it goes.

10. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

At least you know that you will eventually be out of there. 2010 is a year and a half away. It will eventually get here, and when it does, you'll feel better. If I were you, I'd make the best of the situation you're in and enjoy the next year. Take in as much as you can. Because when you finally do get out, you'll just be even more bummed that you spent the last year worrying. Hope you get better, and tyvm btw for serving our country. You guys have the toughest job in the world. :wavey:

11. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Looks like my "exercise more" standard response won't work here. Do you feel like learning anything new?

12. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I'm taking a dutch class right now

I run about 8 to 10 miles a week, and lift weights for an hour and a half twice a week :dunno:

13. GlassUser

Well... shit. Do you drink any of that awesome beer they have up there?

14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

hell yes :yum:

15. GlassUser

See, now I'm jealous.

16. Naygrow

Naygrow .

drink water and drive on, i love how i see the all of the same strategies being used all across the military

17. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

you can find a lot of them in the states if you know where to look

I usually manage to track some down whenever I go on leave

18. GlassUser

Oh I find them. They're just expensive and require tracking donw.