MMA Lorenzo Fertitta: 140,000 People Viewed UFC 106 Illegally

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by chechen, Dec 25, 2009.

1. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta testified Wednesday at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on piracy of live sports broadcasting over the Internet, and he said the UFC is potentially losing tens of millions of dollars because people are illegally streaming UFC pay-per-views online.

"Just last month, the broadcast of UFC 106 from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada, had over 271 unauthorized streams with over 140,000 views, and those are only the ones that our anti-piracy team and consultants identified," Fertitta told the committee. "There were likely more streams that we simply couldn't find."

In reality, there were certainly more streams that the UFC couldn't find: Internet piracy is a huge problem all over the world, and the 271 unauthorized streams that the UFC could find were definitely not the only unauthorized streams out there.

Fertitta said he wasn't addressing Congress to advocate for specific legislation against online piracy. Rather, Fertitta said he wanted to make Congress aware that it's a problem that will only grow without some type of action.

"I do not have sufficient mastery of the technical details to venture an opinion on how these streaming technologies will develop, but it is clear that these sites are making their money on the backs of stolen copyrighted works," Fertitta said.

One site Fertitta mentioned, Justin.tv, was represented at the hearing by its CEO, Michael Seibel. Justin.tv maintains that it doesn't attempt to facilitate illegal Internet piracy, and that it works with copyright owners to take unauthorized streams down. Fertitta said he appreciates the fact that Justin.tv has reached out to the UFC, but he said he thinks more could be done -- and that many sites are illegally profiting from the UFC's copyrighted broadcasts.

"I submit that they have deliberately chosen not to take reasonable precautions to deter the rampant infringement on their sites because they directly profit from the availability of popular infringing streams on those sites," Fertitta said.

:wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc:

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Next question is could the UFC site handle 140,000 extra viewers streaming their content.

4. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

How many of those 140K would have bought it if the streams weren't available. I bet <10%

5. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

youre right

6. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

haha owned

7. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

:werd:

I probably buy 2-3 PPV's a year. I just streamed one recently for the first time, and it was pretty good, but I will probably continue buying the PPV for the bigger more interesting fights.

8. localfool

localfool Member

When are these big companies going to man up and create their own video streaming sites instead of bitching about how people wont buy their overpriced shit. Lol @ UFC getting pwned by internet nerds. Fail.

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

What a faggot. Maybe I'll stop buying the PPV's because of this.

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

UFC 106 was a shit card but to Zuffa's credit you can stream the events from the UFC website, albeit for way too much money (especially UFC 106)

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:ugh:

http://www.ufc.com/live/

12. localfool

localfool Member

Yeah, I meant free streaming.

They could potentially make more money than they do now through ads and other website marketing tools if they streamed for free. If a bunch of 20 somethings can do it (eg. NinjaVideo) then there's no reason the geniuses working for the UFC cant. I'd pay for a site subscription but fuck paying for every card, especially on my salary.

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i'll let you in on a little secret, you arent smarter than the execs at zuffa. Streaming fights for free is an idiotic idea and they'd be out of business faster than if they had Barnett headline a card.

14. localfool

localfool Member

Actually I am smarter than the execs at zuffa. U mad? :greddy:

15. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

16. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Why not just air it on Spike tv than if your gonna show it for free? They seem to perfer PPV's...im guessing because thats how they make more $$$$

17. Helios

Helios New Member

40, 50% tops are the kind of people who are just hopping in on a stream because it's there, but don't really care for the sport and would truly never buy a ppv.

It's similar to the nerds who download music and movies, not all or even most would buy all the stuff they download, but if it was close to impossible to pirate you would have significantly more buyers just from the last minute/impulse buyers who couldn't stream it and didn't want to miss out.

18. Helios

Helios New Member

Trying to protect his business = faggot

Beacon of maturity right here folks. :hsugh:

19. momentum

momentum CAN'T STOP THIS SON!

haha owned

20. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

streams are one thing, many people probably don't buy the PPVs because the replays are also hosted immediately after the fights.

21. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ufc cards are getting weak, they need to have less frequent PPV's and focus on putting the fights we want on PPV's so there is a reason to buy, i don't even bother d'l the things at this point, if i don't watch at a bar for free i just wait to see them on spike later down the road, there hasn't been that many must see fights for awhile imo

22. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

motherfucking DOT

23. Cro Cop

Cro Cop OT Supporter

I don't think that's sound reasoning.

That 140K number is going to grow as more and more people get familiar with the internet and streams in general. You can't blame the UFC for protecting their business.

With that said, I hope they stay the hell away from Sopcast. :x:

24. Cro Cop

Cro Cop OT Supporter

They could nab people like the assholes from the RIAA.

Fake torrents, bust people, scare a portion of downloaders. Wouldn't squash everything but it would put a dent in it.

25. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

or they could reduce the # of PPV's and give us great fight cards with multiple title fights and save 1/2 of the shit they show as the main event for undercard unaired shit cause that's where a bunch of these fights belong that they try to sell us.