Loose shifter question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Aug 9, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I've got an 86' MR2 with a lot of miles, 5-speed. Recently I got to toy around in some higher HP cars and I was most impressed with how tight the shifting was and how smooth it felt. Getting back in my MR2 felt like I was shifting through a bucket of nails :wtc:

I'll be ordering a short shifter kit tomorrow, shifter lowering plate, shifter base bushings, and brass shift cable bushings.

Is there anything else I should look at replacing? Is it possible my shift cable itself is jacked up? Any way to tell? I'm a car novice for the most part so obvious things tend to slip by me.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Make that tonight, just ordered everything :p Does anyone know of an online vendor for Toyota shift cables, specifically MKI MR2's?

3. arse

arse New Member

you are a car novice but you want to rebuild your transmission?

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Rebuild my tranny? Where did I say that?

I'm just installing a short shift kit and replacing cable bushings. I've no intention to work on the actual transmission unless it gives out, in which case I have a spare c56 sitting in my garage I'd have to pay a friend to swap in because I've never done it.

I've installed a CAI/RAI on my car, installed newer gen taillights, swapped headlight housings (H7 conversion), flushed my coolant system, and done basic maintenance to my car. Nothing advanced, which is why I still think I am a novice.

5. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

i have a 06 civic, after the shifter bushing, short shifter, and weighted shift knob installed the car is amazing to drive. everytime i shift it just feel crisp clean and extremly precise. no comparison to stock at all. i can't imagine for an old car like yours it's going to feel like heaven.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hopefully, just laid down ~$130 for all the parts. Should get it in the mail sometime this week. My only apprehension is installing it all and it still wants to hesitate inbetween gears, which probably means my synchros are bad and i'm going to have to swap the tranny. $$$$ EEK!

7. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

What brand did you get? B&M ftw.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

It wasn't a brand specific kit really. I buy a LOT of stuff from http://www.twosrus.com because they give back to the MR2 community and they have quality products. Some original products too which I like.

Anyways it's the "Shift kit 3"...

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_46&products_id=117

All that plus new shifter base bushings. I believe the B&M is quite a bit more expensive and doesn't include nearly as much. For other make/model cars I know they are really popular but for my MR2 I think this was a better deal, we shall see. At least 10 other MKI owners I talked to have this setup and are happy with it, I only know 1-2 owners with other brands.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

So I got all my shit!

[​IMG]

But it's midnight now and the mosquitos would kill me, so I gotta' wait till morning to install it all. Can't wait :p

10. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

nice let us know how it goes. My sr20 tranny is direct linkage equals no cable or bushings ;).

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Lucky. Although I don't know that I'd trade being mid-engine for direct linkage :p My gas tank is below the center console...kinda scary.

12. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

pfft mid-engine...yeah thats nice. ;)

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shifts nice and smooth now. I think I'm gonna open it back up and squirt some more grease in there. In 3rd gear with the AC on there is this slight rattle sound, I'll find out what it is.

Fore reference, this is stock - http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/4W4K3/Car229-1.jpg
    It sat maybe an inch higher than the e-brake when it was stock lol.

14. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Squirt some grease in where?
    What kind of grease?

Your cables are probably questionable too.
    They tend to wear out after 20+ years.

I just replaced the ones in my 92 Alltrac.
    MUCH better shifting [already have the TWM shifter and Speedsource brass bushings.

Cables aren't cheap though.
    Mine were $150 ea [my cost].

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Where the shifter base is, there is a plastic "cup" type thing it pivots in. It had grease in it, but it was old and discoloured. Also the neutral return spring could some some new grease. Not sure what kind...I'll have to see what everyone else uses.

Any idea where I can get new cables? I know I've seen them on the MR2 forums from time to time for a decent price, but they go fast.

16. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Use synthetic brake grease.

Won't hurt the plastic, is very slippery, and will last.

Your best bet for new ones [IMO used is useless, unless you KNOW they are fairly new, or yours are totally shot] is the dealer.

Try www.1sttoyotaparts.com
    Or you can try www.toyotaworld.com Ask for David. Tell him I sent you [I don't get anything from it, I live 2000 miles away :p].
    Wait a few days if you use the bottom one, he won't be around probably until Mon at least.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hmm...is there a way to remove the cable and inspect it? Is it as simple as unscrewing it on both ends and pulling it through the cabin? Then I could lube it and make sure it's not frayed or has kinks or anything.

18. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

great job!!!

19. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

mmm, not that simple.

The actual cable is twisted wire with ends.
    But it's inside a outer covering.
    The outer covering is usually what the problem is, and only comes with the cable.
    I don't recall if yours is a 1 piece cable or 2 piece.
    Either way, I can tell you right now, if it's the original cables, they're probably at least somewhat damaged.

But you can pull them out and look at them.
    Look for any of the outer covering coming apart or off.
    Make sure there's no kinks, ect.

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Will do! I'll check on the forums, I'm sure there have been numerous cable threads where people ask the same questions.

Do you think it would be possible to make my own? I mean people do it with speaker wire, ethernet cable, and so on. If it's just steel braided, clamps on the end, and then a plastic covering it doesn't seem to be that complex?

21. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Hey mate,
    You may find that a transmission oil change will do your shift feel wonders as well.

That and get a genuine TRD leather gearknob +10kw :p

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Yeah if only my fill bolt would come undone :( I may have to drill it out and tap a new hole...a lot of MKI guys have to do that. I took it to a friend with a lift nad he messed with it for 30 minutes trying to get it off. Didn't want to strip it so I just had to leave it.

23. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Good on you not pulling the drain plug and draining first. :thumbsup:
    Too many people make that mistake.

Once again, not that simple.
    It's not just a plastic covered cable with clamps.
    They have to line up with certain things, lock in place, ect.
    Here's the engine bay ends of mine.
    Yours should be somewhat similar. Same purpose and basic design.
    [​IMG]

24. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hehe that would be rich. Someone showed me a place on top of the transmission where I could take off the shft linkage and pour in fluid from there. I'll give that a show before I go messing with the fill bolt.

It does look more complex than I thought. I had seen people make there own e-brake cables but they are a lot simpler than shift cables, especially the ends.