Looks like I was wrong about Ubuntu and Fedora

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

As you may or may not know, I've been preaching about how good Fedora Core 5 is and how much difficulty I had with Ubuntu. Well, I spent the weekend getting familiar with Ubuntu and messing around with it. Holy crap...it works! :) I was surprised by how easy everything is to get set up and tweaked like I want it, their website is pimp!! I don't have my system 100% like I want it but I'm certainly getting there. Once I discovered how easy the Synaptic Package Manager is to work with I'm just amazed I was having trouble in the first place.

So I had to do some development work and went back to my Fedora HD which has many of the dev features I need. However, I couldn't get the sound to work and I noticed a couple of other things that were not right about it. So after I was finished working on it, I went straight back to the Ubuntu install.

So I guess I'm now a convert to Ubuntu and I'm not at all embarrassed to say I think I was wrong about it. :)

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Ubuntu is quite nice. Not as heavy as Fedora either, at least I have found. Still not a server OS though. I still stick with Gentoo and/or SuSE Ent.

3. copeland

copeland smarter than you

are you dual booting? or solely using Ubuntu? I'm right ready to install but a little worried if I can deal with just a *nix box

I hate windows though, and the only downfall I Can see is for games...

4. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I have a box that will boot XP, Ubuntu, and RHEv4. It was pretty easy to setup.

5. copeland

copeland smarter than you

but do you find yourself switching between boots lots? I just don't see my lifestyle needing both...

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Good stuff Cootie.. To get a toolchain on Ubuntu (GCC etc), install the build-essential package. Shouldnt be very hard to get a proper dev enviornment set up after that (make sure to install the -dev packages of any libraries you link to).
    You can keep Windows for the time being. When you think youre ready to ditch it for good, do. (You can format the Windows partition, or make the Ubuntu partition bigger)

7. Coottie

Nope, not dual booting. I have 2 comps at home and they both have removable HDs so I can completly swap out HDs very easily. My set up is primarily because I too was worried about going with just a Linux system so I want to get comfortable with it before I completly abandon my Windows boxes.

I'm getting much more comfortable since installing Ubuntu and I'm going to make efforts to stop solving my issues using a Windows box and just use Linux. IMO this is the only way to FORCE me away from Windows. Of course, I still have those HDs so I can put them in if I need to.

Another thing that makes Ubuntu so attractive is the community. IMO getting answers to problems you are having is absolutly critical because there's not one company to call when things don't work quite right.....so the community is critical. The Ubuntu community, on the Ubuntu forums, has been very friendly and helpful. I'm not shamed to talked down to by uber geeks that know this stuff like the back of their hand....at least so far that hasn't happend.

8. Coottie

Good idea...thanks!